Author Topic: Disabling forum registrations  (Read 3561 times)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
I thought Cloudflare had an 'Under Attack' mode.
I think you can specifically target the Registration page only.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Steven

• Administrator
I thought cloudflare provided their own captcha and bot protection. It would be really hard to defend against targeted attack tbh.
I'll also look into this thanks. My thoughts are its likely a blunt instrument - perhaps i could set it to block a country of origin but it would affect every valid user from that country and they would need to do the captcha regularly

I thought Cloudflare had an 'Under Attack' mode.
I think you can specifically target the Registration page only.
Thanks for the suggestion and i'll look into it. Not sure if 1 registration every minute will count as under attack and could end up blocking valid registrations. But if i can restrict it to the registration page only then this could work well if the user has to a captcha to proceed

edit:
actually this could be a great suggestion - thanks bee-liever. I'll do some more research but this could be the way to go
Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 10:57:27 AM by Steven

hiccup

I see the forum is running version 2.0.17 of the SMF package, whereas the latest patch just made available is 2.1.2.
Not suggesting it will specifically include any new anti-spam features, but it does mention security updates which sounds like a good thing.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=16894.msg198035#msg198035

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Looks like I'm late to the party. I'm willing to help if we go the email route, but sounds like maybe that's already been replaced with something better.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
Looks like I'm late to the party. I'm willing to help if we go the email route, but sounds like maybe that's already been replaced with something better.
it looks like the cloudfare suggestions worked out and its challenge method is blocking the mass bot spam account registrations. No doubt there will still be the occasional real person spam accounts.

So bee-liever & AvikB thank you so much for the suggestion! And thanks to all the other suggestions
Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 12:26:41 AM by Steven

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks Bee-liever! I was looking for information on the proper method to move MusicBee's Forum flag to half-staff.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Glad to help.
I'm happy that what I thought I remembered reading about a Cloudflare setting was still accurate!  :o
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

AvikB

it looks like the cloudfare suggestions worked out and its challenge method is blocking the mass bot spam account registrations. No doubt there will still be the occasional real person spam accounts. So bee-liever & AvikB thank you so much for the suggestion! And thanks to all the other suggestions
✌️✌️