Author Topic: How to edit the 'location' field for a bookmark?  (Read 633 times)

cag8f

Hello.  When editing a bookmark, how can I edit the 'location' field?  That field is disabled for editing (screenshot).  This seems to be the case for all my bookmarks.

Here is some more background.  Over the past several years I've created several bookmarks from different files, and they worked fine without issue.  I very recently migrated my entire MusicBee installation from one computer to another. After I did so, opening each bookmark first required that I manually relocate the file from which it was created.  I did so without issue for nearly all of my bookmarks.  But for four of them, I accidentally selected the wrong file.  If I open those bookmarks for editing, the 'location' field points to the incorrect file.  That is why I am now interested in changing the 'location' field so it points to the correct file.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

• Administrator
A bookmark references a file, and you can only move the source file itself.
However, hold off doing that as I see there is a bug where the bookmark is not updated with the new location. I will fix that

edit:
no - actually its fine
Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 12:55:14 PM by Steven

cag8f

Thanks very much for the reply. 

>> A bookmark references a file, and you can only move the source file itself.

So in light of that, how would I resolve my issue?  Do I have to delete these four bookmarks and re-create them, using the correct source file?  I'm not being snarky--I just want to be clear on this :-)

hiccup

There should be a bookmarks.dat file somewhere in your MusicBee's AppData folder.
.dat files in general should not be messed with though.
If you want to take the gamble you can open it with a text editor (e.g. Notepad++) and change the url's of the files there.
But be aware that the editing, and even saving of such a .dat file using a text editor may have undesired consequences.

So if you are going to try this, use backups for testing.
Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 07:45:18 AM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
no need to edit the file.
Simply locate the source file in the Music tab, rename it the usual way and bookmark links will be updated. However if you already have the bookmarks tab opened then you need to press F5 - i will fix that issue
Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 09:18:01 AM by Steven

cag8f

OK thanks for both replies.  @Steven I'll try your solution in a bit, and will update here when I'm done.  I'm unfortunatley now working on a separate MusicBee issue with my podcasts.