Author Topic: Un-do changes to tags?  (Read 762 times)

ultrarunner2018

I realize that this question has been asked on and off over the last 10 years that MB has been around, but so far I don't see any way one can un-do changes to tags when the metadata is saved to the files. Perhaps if it is saved to MB database only, one can un-do, but I don't see a way to do it.
I had a 'scare' earlier today when I wanted to make sure that none of my files had the 'enable custom sorting' box (in the sorting tab) ticked. I selected my entire library, went into edit, and sorting. I found the box un-ticked, so I hit the Save button, thinking that if any of the files had custom sorting ticked, this would remove it.
After I saved, nothing bad happened, but I suddenly had the fear that perhaps some of the other checkboxes on the sort tab had also been ticked. What would be the result of doing that? I suspect it would seriously mess up the database. But luckily, MusicBee leaves all the boxes un-ticked by default - unlike another program (Tag & Rename) I sometimes use for tagging, which leaves boxes ticked from the last operation performed.
So, at least MB is smart enough to clear the boxes so something bad doesn't happen, but it would be really nice to have an un-do feature; although I suspect that if writing tags to the files, this would be somewhat difficult. A cache of all changed files would need to be stored somewhere.

Of course the best way to prevent disasters that can cost many hours of work, one should always keep a good backup.
I do a backup regularly every night when I have been working on MB, but I think it might be a good idea to do a backup more often, when processing large numbers of files during a day. Maybe once an hour.

Your thoughts?
Ultrarunner

phred

• Global Moderator
Use the free SyncBack application and set a schedule to back up a number of times a day.
https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare-simple.html

I use a number of different applications to back up my "valuable" music collection. Including SyncBack Pro, Macrium Reflect, and various batch files. Each runs at least twice every 24 hours with different destinations.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Many tag changes can be immediately reverted by going to Edit > Undo as soon as they are entered.

In your case, unless you actually made a change, just saving the files again wouldn't apply any changes. You would have to manually check and uncheck one of the boxes, first. (If editing a text tag, the box next to it will be checked to indicate the field will be updated for all selected files.)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ultrarunner2018

I could just schedule regular backups using EaseUS Todo Backup, which I already own.
I would need two separate backup schedules if I am going to backup to more than one location.

phred

• Global Moderator
A point of important information: don't just make backups. Make sure you can restore from your backups. With my backup schemes I don't have to worry so much, but there's nothing like having backups and then finding out that you can't restore from them. I test mine every couple of weeks.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

ultrarunner2018

A point of important information: don't just make backups. Make sure you can restore from your backups. With my backup schemes I don't have to worry so much, but there's nothing like having backups and then finding out that you can't restore from them. I test mine every couple of weeks.
That's a good point. I rarely do a restore. I assume when you do a test restore, that you don't restore to the original location - just in case something goes wrong.

phred

• Global Moderator
That's a good point. I rarely do a restore. I assume when you do a test restore, that you don't restore to the original location - just in case something goes wrong.
It depends on what I'm (test) restoring. If it's my music files, I'll restore one album because it's simple to correct if the restore goes south. Most often I restore to a different location.

Backups are good. A successful test restore is even better.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki