Author Topic: Make "Link to the Original Picture File" the default option when choosing art  (Read 4591 times)

Versiris

Right now when you choose artwork for a track/album it does not give you the option to "link to the original picture file". This means in order to select this, you need to add some art you don't want, exit that dialog box, add the art you do want, only then does ""link to the original picture file" show up.

Here is what it looks like when you first add an image.

Here is what it looks like after you exit and add another image. It should let you do this the first time. This should be the default option.

Versiris

Bumping this as this is pretty important imo, took me like a week straight to figure this out on my own and I'm sure it's frustrated others or they've given up completely.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Are the Link to the original picture file and Save the picture to fields on those screen doing the same thing, but with a different label?
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator
I am interpreting this issue as needing a new Tags(1)/artwork/ album cover storage choice: 'link to source' which would be used when adding new artwork

Steven

• Administrator
this version adds the option in Preferences/ Tags(1)/ artwork for new artwork to be linked to the source file
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files

boroda

Steven, it seems that this new option concerns only downloaded artworks. is this correct?

Steven

• Administrator

Versiris

I am interpreting this issue as needing a new Tags(1)/artwork/ album cover storage choice: 'link to source' which would be used when adding new artwork

YES Thank you so much for fixing it!!

To clarify again, for future reference, or for anyone else who is interested: I could have worded the problem more specifically. Here is what the issue was:

Okay so here is an album with no cover art added. Let's add one...

We go into this panel, click add...

Like many others, I like to keep organized copies of album art in a separate folder from the sound files, so I select the Front cover here.

Looks like it's ready to go right? BUT WAIT!

It has actually created a Cover.jpg in the root folder of the soundtrack! not what I wanted.

In order to link to the organized copy of the artwork, I need to add a new artwork in this window, now this option appears that didn't appear the first time, "link to the original picture file".

Now the bottom one is correct, and the top is wrong, so I have to delete the top pic.

And now I finally have the organized artwork as the album cover!

Thanks again for fixing this it was driving me crazy!! I love MusicBee. :)

phred

• Global Moderator
Using 3.5.8297 P

Unless I'm misunderstanding this thread, a bug has been introduced with the new option.

I rarely download/auto-retrieve artwork for my albums preferring to find my own artwork and paste it in the Tags (1) tab of the Tag Editor with the files still in the Inbox. And I have always had it set as such:

And even though it is set to embed -and- link to an organized copy, when I hove over the artwork (after saving) it only shows "embedded."

The organized copy has been created and it is in the same directory as the rest of the files. It even gets moved when I send all the files to the library. Yet it's still not showing the organized artwork path when hovering.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
can you go to the Artwork tab, I expect you will see 2 pictures. Click the "Save As" button to see the locations
Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 06:19:13 AM by Steven

voodoopunk

The OP has an interesting way to add artwork and perhaps I'm misunderstanding the issue. I do the same as Phred regarding adding art locally rather than downloading, right-click on the album in question and edit, then right-click choose picture in the artwork window. When the relevant file is selected, isn't the option the OP is after available?

https://imgur.com/a/5YwLdHF.jpg

phred

• Global Moderator
can you go to the Artwork tab, I expect you will see 2 pictures. Click the "Save As" button to see the locations
Yes and No.
There are not two pictures in the artwork tab even though there is an organized jpg in the directory where the album lives.

After clicking 'save as' on the one album cover showing, hovering does now include the file path.

What I don't understand is why the extra step is now needed when previously both showed when adding the cover.

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Versiris

The OP has an interesting way to add artwork and perhaps I'm misunderstanding the issue. I do the same as Phred regarding adding art locally rather than downloading, right-click on the album in question and edit, then right-click choose picture in the artwork window. When the relevant file is selected, isn't the option the OP is after available?

https://imgur.com/a/5YwLdHF.jpg

This option does not show up the first time you click "add" artwork, or if it does it does not give you the "link to organized copy" option, only the second time. I'm not sure why, hence the thread, but my workaround was to add two pictures then remove one to get the option to pop up.

voodoopunk

Strange, if I add artwork as explained in the previous post, I see the following... Isn't this what you're after?

No need for any work around.