Author Topic: My Various Tagging Questions  (Read 1245 times)

Dalinar

1) is it ok to tag a file while it is being played? e.g. I select an album and tag the whole album, while of its songs are playing?

2) what would be the easiest way to apply a tag (e.g. a keywords tag) ? without having to type it in every time? I tried the quick tags plugin but that plugin won't run on my computer for some reason.

phred

• Global Moderator
1) is it ok to tag a file while it is being played? e.g. I select an album and tag the whole album, while of its songs are playing?
Yes. Tags and lyrics edited/added while a song is playing won't get saved to the track file until the song is stopped. Not paused. Stopped.

2) what would be the easiest way to apply a tag (e.g. a keywords tag) ? without having to type it in every time? I tried the quick tags plugin but that plugin won't run on my computer for some reason.
I'm not familiar with the "quick tags" plugin and don't see it listed in the plugins section of the forum. Where did you get it?

You can select all the tracks that are going to have the same keyword(s) and open the Tag Editor and add the keyword(s). It will get save to all the selected tracks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Dalinar

Dalinar

to be honest what I do is add the tag "new" to the keywords tag. I know, sounds stupid as you can just make a playlist that sorts by the date added. However, I do this because then I can un-new it later after I've listened to it.

Ideally this Additional Tagging plugin (forget the exact name) would be best, as it can add tags automatically but as far as I understand it - it cannot just add the tag to the files in the inbox but will add the tag to any file that has been modified, which I'm sure there is a good use for this but it escapes me why anyone would want to add a tag every time any mp3 file is modified.

Dalinar

Yes. Tags and lyrics edited/added while a song is playing won't get saved to the track file until the song is stopped. Not paused. Stopped.

What happens if the track is still playing when MusicBee is exited? I noticed that when MusicBee is opened the track will resume playing. At what point does the tag get written?

1) upon exit even though the file was playing ?
2) upon restart of MusicBee after the song is stopped?
3) some other time?

Dalinar

to be honest what I do is add the tag "new" to the keywords tag.
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=35032.0

how do you magically ungrey (enable) the boxes there? like the one that lets you select "genre" ? or the ones below it?

hiccup

how do you magically ungrey (enable) the boxes there? like the one that lets you select "genre" ?
Click on it. (with your mouse)

Dalinar

I don't really understand what to do, clicking doesn't enable the boxes

https://imgur.com/uSpBo4y

sorry about the link but i couldn't figure out how to use the img tags

hiccup

I don't really understand what to do, clicking doesn't enable the boxes
That doesn't look like the preset I directed you to?

Dalinar

ah I couldn't download it because bitly says it is harmful and there was no way around it - the preset link is a bit ly link

phred

• Global Moderator
What happens if the track is still playing when MusicBee is exited? I noticed that when MusicBee is opened the track will resume playing. At what point does the tag get written?
3) some other time?

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you close MusicBee with updates pending,  I would expect the tags to be updated at that point, between when playback stops and the process is ended. Steven would have to confirm, though.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Zak

• Global Moderator
to be honest what I do is add the tag "new" to the keywords tag. I know, sounds stupid as you can just make a playlist that sorts by the date added. However, I do this because then I can un-new it later after I've listened to it.
You could also make an auto-playlist that shows tracks with a Play Count of zero (and maybe use Date Added to also restrict it to newly added tracks).
Bee excellent to each other...

Steven

• Administrator

3) some other time?
if you exit MusicBee normally or its a normal windows shutdown while MB is still running, the file is saved before MB closes
if its a forced windows shutdown then the file is not saved.