Author Topic: Organising files to be renamed according to Playlist option  (Read 383 times)

SAMBAK

Hi All, Only very new at this but I am hoping someone can help. My request relates to renaming  converted files to adopt the sequence in your current playlist. Can this be done if so can someone please explain how this can be done?
I hope I have explained myself clearly, in other words I would like to rename all my mp3  files in my folder  to be in the same playing order as my playlist order base on tack "#" on the playlist , (rather than having to rename 800 files in numaric order),
 I have tried reorganising option in this application but  but can only find <track#>  and this option does not convert or rename files to the numeric # option listed from 1 to 800, so simply looking to rename 1 -800 files according the the playlist numeric order I have created and then copy files to my USB - Can someone please advise how to do this? Please advise if my question is not clear?
Thanks in advance great application by the way.

Zak

• Global Moderator
This isn't as easy as it should be because there's no way to get the position of each track within a playlist to use in a filename.
The only way I can see is to have MusicBee do it for you when syncing a playlist to an external device.

Edit > Preferences > Devices

Click Add Virtual Device... and create or select a folder to save your tracks in.

You only want to use the files from your playlist, not the entire library, so
* Uncheck Synchronise music
* Check Sychronise playlists and check the right one

A MusicBee quirk (bug?) means it won't sync if the folder specified for music files doesn't exist.
Because you don't actually need it, the easiest workaround is to just edit the path to remove it – Change Music files from Music\* to *.
Finally, check Create a sub-folder for each playlist and its tracks. This is the magic sauce that will make MusicBee rename the files so they appear in the same order as in the playlist.

Save changes in both of the open dialog boxes.

Now select File > Synchronise Device... > Virtual Device [Your folder name]

MusicBee will copy the tracks from your playlist to the folder you specified for the virtual device in a Playlists subfolder using the naming template <Playlist Position>-<Artist>-<Track title>
Bee excellent to each other...

Zak

• Global Moderator
Incidentally, if you did also want to set the actual track numbers to match the order in the playlist - so you could rename the files in some other format, say -  after copying the tracks as I've described above, drag the new Playlist folder to the Now Playing List in MusicBee, select all the tracks and then select Tools > Tagging Tools > Renumber Tracks....
This command won't change disc numbers though, so you'll need to remove those yourself if you need to.

And make sure you only do that with the files copied to the virtual device folder.
If you do it on the original playlist you'll screw up the track numbers on the tracks in your library.
Bee excellent to each other...