Author Topic: Another issue with ratings  (Read 303 times)

ultrarunner2018

I am having a hard time trying to figure out what is happening in MusicBee with ratings on .flac files.
First, I have the option in Preferences > Tags(1)  "store ratings in the music file" ticked.

I have several tabs set up, using filters to select which tracks are displayed for each tab:

"Rock (All)" - filters:  Match ALL of the following rules:
Genre is not Classical
Genre is not Meditation

"Rock (3_Stars)" - filters:  Match All of the following rules:
Genre is not Classical
Genre is not Meditation
Rating in range 3* to 5*

If I change a rating from 3 stars to 2 stars, that track should no longer appear in the 3 star list, but appear in the All tab. However, changing the rating in MB does not immediately remove the 2* track from the 3* list. I must first 'refresh' the filter (by opening it, and saving without making any changes). After doing that, the 2* rated track(s) disappear from the 3* list, but are still listed in the All list.
Switching to another tab, then back to the 3* tab does not refresh the list, nor does closing MB and restarting the app.

However, if I set the ratings in Tag & Rename, then do a rescan in MB, the rating is updated in MB, and the filters work properly.
Also note that if I change a rating in MB, then look at the track in T&R, the ratings field is null.

While I understand that the .flac format does not store ratings the same way as .mp3 or maybe .wav, it does appear to store ratings in some way, but apparently, MB is storing the metadata in a different format than what T&R is using, but at the same time, MB is able to read the tags set by T&R (but not the other way around).

Can anyone shine a light onto this issue? Is there a bug in MusicBee, or is there a setting I have been ignoring?

Thanks for your help
Ultrarunner.