Author Topic: Sony .dvf format  (Read 503 times)

MusicBebe

Is MusicBee able to work with the Sony dvf audio format? This was a proprietary compressed format Song it used to use with its digital voice recorders.

I have a large number of these, scattered across various backup and archive media. I still have the Sony program that can play these, and also can convert them to wav and mp3. But I first need to sort and weed through them, and try to get a definitive set without the many dupes that exist. MB would be helpful in this.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm fairly certain MB can not deal with those files. If the format is lossless, then I suggest using the application to convert them to WAV and then use MB to convert them to FLAC. If it is a lossy format, use the app to convert them to MP3. If doing the later, DO  NOT change the bitrate for the converted files. Using a higher bitrate when converting a lossy format will only degrade the quality. It's like making a photocopy of a photocopy.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MusicBebe

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it was too likely, but worth asking.

Thanks too for the conversion suggestions. What little I've found on the format suggests it uses a proprietary variant of FLAC, which I suppose implies it is lossless. I know it supports some tags to some extent. 

The current version of Sony's Sound Organizer software can play dvf, but only files created after somewhere around 2012. For older files, I need to use the program that preceded Sound Organizer, "Digital Voice Editor," which does not run on Windows 10, possibly nothing newer than Windows 7. As it turns out, my local network is running on a Windows 7 machine, with Digital Voice Editor installed, and that opens the files that the newer one does not, and can convert them in batches to mp3 or wav.

Another reason to keep my Windows 7 machine chugging away.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Switch Audio File Converter claims to be able to convert DVF to other formats.
It's free for non-commercial use.

www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html

I don't use this program, so I'm not personally vouching for it. I just found it now.
If it does work, it will be easier than having to switch to another PC.
Bee excellent to each other...