Author Topic: A file renaming tip: Renamer  (Read 2886 times)

MusicBebe

Using MusicBee to reorganize by library, this little file renaming tool has been very useful. Not sure if MB is able to do all that this does, though probably some.

https://www.den4b.com/products/renamer

I've actually had this in my context menu SentTo folder and use it all the time. Literally!

(not at all associated with this app or its developer, just something I'm glad I stumbled on)

phred

• Global Moderator
Looks interesting. I'll have to take a look at it..

I've been using Bulk Rename Utility for a number of years and have been happy with it. A bit of a learning curve, but it does what it's supposed to.
https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

MusicBebe

Bulk Renaming Utility looks like a deep one! And can edit other attributes like timestamps.

Thanks for the link.

Dalinar

there are different renamers for different purposes. I use 3 myself.

I use the renamer in powertoys often, it is good for simple or regex replacements via the send to menu.

When I need to do something that doesn't fit that paradigm easily I use bulk rename utlity. For example to number files with a prefix or suffix. It is pretty good but not quite as quick as powertoys (for things that powertoys can do), if not then bulk rename is usually the way to go.

I use renamer lite - the one mentioned above for one special use case. When I want to move files with the same names (i.e. the would overwrite each other) when moved to one directory, that were previously in disc directories.. e.g. disc 1, disc 2 subfolders.. I use it to automatlically prefix the sub folder name to the track

e.g. Disc 1\01.mp3 becomes Disc 1 - 01.mp3

here is the Insert (as Prefix) rule

:File_FolderName: -

hypomanie

What is the point of 3rd-party renamers when MusicBee has its own File Organizer?
Renaming / moving files outside of the player breaks library links.

Dalinar

1) music files are not the only thing I ever rename (although they are the bulk). I just used power renamer on some photos just before vistiing this forum. If I had to keep only one, power renamer would be it and any I would have to install it as I need powertoys to function lol.. if you have an UIltraWide their windows layout manager called "Fancy Zones" is the best thing ever, so if you want that power renamer is part of the package deal.

2) I can't really remember if I ever renamed music files after putting them in MusicBee. If I need to rename files it is part of the preparation before dropping them into the inbox.

3) even so, I don't think that would be a problem... whatever files you rename simply pop back into the inbox on a file rescan.
Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 09:52:17 AM by Dalinar

hypomanie

1. I tried PowerToys, and even though most of the features seem useful, I rarely used any of them. Total Commander is my desktop environment.

2-3. Your workflow is different.
The files in my inbox are ~never modified outside of Musicbee. They sit there, waiting until I prepare them for the library - set proper tags, artwork, replaygain. After that's done, I use File Reorganizer (ctrl+R) to move/rename them into "Genre/Album Artist/Y - Album/#. track" using a naming template.

This action also adds them to the library. Outside of Reorganizer "Add to library" is never used.

Same template can also be applied to the library files to fix nonconformities in folder structure.

Since OP was talking about "reorganizing the library" I assumed he didn't mean inbox.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I move and rename files within my monitored folders all the time, and haven't had any problems.
In my case, MusicBee either recognises the file has been renamed and updates it in the Library, or in some cases might see it as a new file and add it back in the Inbox. As long as you're familiar with how MusicBee works and know where to look there shouldn't be any surprises.

It might be different if you're maintaining a lot of playlists though - they probably don't won't get updated automatically. I don't really use them so I'm not sure.

-edit-
I should also add I've never felt compelled to know the exact time I first added a file to my library or how many times I've played every track in the past 10 years. If those things are important to you, then keeping the status quo within MusicBee is also important lest your play counts etc. get wiped out if you move things around too much.
Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 07:59:43 AM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...