Author Topic: Copying a tag set from one file to another  (Read 518 times)

MusicBebe

Is it possible to copy a set of tags from one file to another? Here's what I want to do.

I have recordings of 40 Bach partitas by two different artists, Tureck and Gould. I would like the sequential <titles> of each track to be the same for both albums, based on what's currently used for one or the other of them. There must be a way to do this!

Can I copy a list of a specific tag from one set of files, and paste them into another list of files, according to track number?

I'm sure others have wanted to do this. I'm not quite finding how. I'm sure it's simple.

MusicBebe

hiccup

Just in case your classical music library is large and/or expanding:
You could consider using MusicBrainz' Picard for tagging your classical music.
It makes it possible to use uniform 'work' (composition) names instead of what is written on different covers of different releases or languages.
Then you would not need to resort to do renaming such as this.

vincent kars

hiccup

does this applies to the movements (title tag) as well?
Yep, it should work on all levels of a composition, from an overarching work title to movements or parts.
The only thing that puts sand between the cogs is the fact that there are variations of how many tracks a composition can be divided under for a release.
E.g. one and the same opera on one release can be divided in 20 tracks, and on another release more cut-up (more specified) in 30 tracks.
(or maybe even just two if it's a vinyl rip: 'side A' and 'side B')

For those cases neither Picard nor renaming can do much for what the OP is asking here.
Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 07:42:15 PM by hiccup

vincent kars

Sounds good, will have a look one day.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Movements are indeed troublesome. When played as one, they can occur as single track or as multiple tracks.
If you find the software knowing this, let me know  ::)