Author Topic: Filter within currently shown files instead of entire library  (Read 1459 times)

getmusicbee_account1111

Say you're filtering the tracks in a specific language using the Column Browser. Then within those files you want to perform a search:

It'd be nice if the search results came from whatever's currently in the Main Panel (in this case, the tracks in that language). As it stands, the results will be from everywhere.

Not sure what "Local Node Only" does, but the results are the same as with "Entire Library."

boroda

+1. yes, "local node" could be changed to "currently displayed files" (or some other wording, but the sense is clear).

Messiaen

Not sure what "Local Node Only" does, but the results are the same as with "Entire Library."
If your current tab is Music, then yes, the results are the same (as that is your entire library), but if your tab is Inbox (or a playlist, etc), then the "local node" becomes just that tab, as distinct from the whole library.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Say you're filtering the tracks in a specific language using the Column Browser. Then within those files you want to perform a search:
This already works the other way around.
Entering text in the Search field will reset any selections in the Column Browser.
So you can enter your search text first, then select the Column Browser filter you want applied to the results.
Admittedly, that could be annoying if you wanted to search for the same term across multiple filtered options.

+1. yes, "local node" could be changed to "currently displayed files" (or some other wording, but the sense is clear).
That gets confusing too, because after performing a search, does entering a new search string then search from within that first set of results? Or does it ignore those and search again based on the Column Browser settings from the first search?
Then there's also the Thumbnail Browser to consider, which currently behaves differently to the Column Browser, in that a selection there does affect the scope of the search and is not reset after each search.

There would also need to be a fallback selection if a typed search result made the current Column Browser selections invalid. It could default back to the All item, I suppose.

Perhaps a search option like 'Reset Column Browser on Search' addresses the OP's problem, but there is always an issue of which order any filters or searches are applied regardless.
Bee excellent to each other...

boroda

@Zak, currently displayed track list (when search filed is empty) may or may not be filtered by using column browser/thumbnail browser/selected node/etc. i would want to have an option to find anything using search field for currently displayed (filtered or not) track list.

if the search field is not empty, then it must be reset before searching again using the new search field string.

Zak

• Global Moderator
I get what's being asked for, but as always i'm pointing out that actually implementing it has implications beyond the one use case that initiated the request.

As another consideration, currently a search is performed immediately after each key press.
So what constitutes a completed search in that case?
e.g.
I want to show tracks by The Beatles, but make a typo in the Search field and type "Beatls" which finds no matching tracks.
I press Backspace and type an 'e' to fix the error, but searching within the previous search results will find nothing.

Does a search then only get performed after a user presses the Enter key in the Search field? I like the immediacy of the current search method, so I'd be against that.
Looked at another way, it is bad practice to make a change that will affect 100 per cent of use cases to benefit the 1 per cent that require something specific. (Unless it's to fix an actual error or bug, of course.)
Bee excellent to each other...

boroda

As another consideration, currently a search is performed immediately after each key press.
So what constitutes a completed search in that case?
e.g.
I want to show tracks by The Beatles, but make a typo in the Search field and type "Beatls" which finds no matching tracks.
I press Backspace and type an 'e' to fix the error, but searching within the previous search results will find nothing.

i don't insist on the proposed feature (if many users consider this inconvenient), but i don't see any new problems here. now, mb re-searches tracks (reset search) after typing/deleting every char. it can do the same, taking into account all applied filters (like selected rows in column browser).