Author Topic: Library with two storage locations  (Read 356 times)

Sweduke

Hi there

I'm just getting started with MusicBee and I'd like to configure it correctly from the start. My question:
I'd like to import my iTunes library with is stored on a cloud and synced locally on my PC. No questions there, I don't think that I'll have problems with that.
Additionally I'd like to re-rip my CD collection as FLAC files. As they need more space I'd like to store them on an external drive, permanently connected to my PC. Can I have this like that in one library or is this not recommanded or not even possible. And what could be an alternative to my idea?

Thank you
Sweduke

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Yes, you can have files from any location as part of the same library and it shouldn't cause problems. Just beware of any settings that would move files (such as auto-organize), if you want them all to stay where they are.

If the external drive is disconnected, MusicBee will still show the files as part of the library but may ask to remove them or the display may change if it tries to rescan them. Don't mess with them, and the next time the drive is connected they should go back to normal (but take care that it always uses the same drive letter).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Sweduke

Great, thank you for the informative answer!

I'll try it out then as written, in case I should have problems, I'll write again.

Greetings
Sweduke