Author Topic: scroll through albums instead of clicking arrows  (Read 1536 times)

mesonto

In my music I have some artists with more than 10 albums. In the middle pane I have to click on tiny greater than less than brackets to be able to scroll through them. It would be great if I could just flick through the pictorial list of albums with my finger.

Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 07:18:02 PM by mesonto

Mr. Trev

I don't use touch screen, but I'll +1 a better way to deal situations like this (floating window, maybe. Perhaps others can make a suggestion). It's a pain ATM to browse through my "Various Artists"

Steven

• Administrator
you can already use the mouse wheel to scroll when the mouse is over the arrow buttons

mesonto

you can already use the mouse wheel to scroll when the mouse is over the arrow buttons

Running MusicBee on a headless machine that is dedicated to just the single app of MusicBee, through a Android Tablet. No Mouse.

Would love to just flick the horizontal listing with my finger. I have essentially tried to replace Audirvana with MusicBee and this is the one area in MusicBee that is still clumsy for fingers. (other than adding or removing songs from a playlist)

hiccup

…and this is the one area in MusicBee that is still clumsy for fingers…
That's probably because MusicBee is a desktop application.
It was never intended to be a 10-foot or a phone app to be interfaced with from a longer distance, or without having a mouse or touchpad available.

While MusicBee has its 'Theater Mode' that can be used for that purpose, software such as Kodi and Plex are specifically designed ground-up for such longer distance or non-mouse interface, so they might be a better choice for what you are looking for.

And even if there is some validity in this specific request, where would this end?
Asking to have every single MusicBee feature being available with a finger swipe or tap?

It might make sense to have something like this available for a Theater Mode, but I don't think it is something that should be expected of, or asked for for MusicBee's default interface.

hiccup

+1 for general touch input features in the future
What's 'general' exactly?
(yes, I am aware there are two very contradicting terms in this very short sentence, which I think summarizes perfectly why I think this is not something that should be expected or asked for)

mesonto

…and this is the one area in MusicBee that is still clumsy for fingers…
That's probably because MusicBee is a desktop application.
It was never intended to be a 10-foot or a phone app to be interfaced with from a longer distance, or without having a mouse or touchpad available.

While MusicBee has its 'Theater Mode' that can be used for that purpose, software such as Kodi and Plex are specifically designed ground-up for such longer distance or non-mouse interface, so they might be a better choice for what you are looking for...

Of course , I understand your point about it being designed as a desktop application, and I do use it on a touch screen computer. (MS Surface as well)

But hiccup, I am afraid you do not understand the purpose of why I am using MusicBee. Kodi and Plex are really bad examples for people who not only want to listen to music (they are actually terrible apps for this purpose at least for audiophiles) but want proper bitperfect playback for their music. Already I use Fidelizer and Audirvana, and I think Fidelizer and MusicBee come very close in sound quality, not quite as good but at least darn close. Now of course there are Linux based apps like Euphony Stylus etc., I am also desperately trying not to run out and buy a $12k Lumin music streamer. That is why I have built a dedicated MusicBee only fanless NUC with JPlay ethernet and USB cards running off a proper LPS (linear power supply). Now I know this is out of bounds for how you use MusicBee, especially because of your comments that I have read. But please don't disparage my wish.

I think MusicBee has an opportunity to be much more than it is presently because its foundation is excellent.

Anyway living in the highend audio world is an expensive hobby. By fluke I came across this application and I was shocked at how good it was and I have been making that "10 foot" interface (not really the right term in this case) in it's present incarnation. And it's really close.

hiccup

… Now I know this is out of bounds for how you use MusicBee…
It looks like you don't.

But this is not about how various, how expensive or carefully selected our audio equipment is, nor about if one bit-perfect audio player can sound different from another bit-perfect player.
Such discussions should go in 'Beyond MusicBee'.

This is about asking MusicBee's developer to put his time and effort into making one tiny aspect of MusicBee more tablet- or 10-feet friendly.

Obviously it's his decision if he is interested in doing that. And I have no arguments against having this specific feature.
My opinion—that this would be going on a path without an end where there will always be some user asking for a next feature to be made finger-friendly—will not make him change his own opinion on the matter.

Software is usually designed for either mouse-use, or to be finger-friendly.
MusicBee clearly falls into the first category.
But it does have an interface  mode available that is intended to be used for what you are asking for, it is called Theater Mode.

In my opinion any programming efforts to extend features to make them easier to use by finger swiping or tapping would best go into Theater Modes. Not so much into MusicBee's normal operating interface.
Also, Theater modes can be created or edited by any user, so that also takes such a burden off MusicBee's single developer.
Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 01:46:34 PM by hiccup

ma_t14

+1

Especially since 2-in-1s and laptops with a touchscreen have started becoming more popular than ever before, in recent years

mesonto

Such discussions should go in 'Beyond MusicBee'.

This is about asking MusicBee's developer to put his time and effort into making one tiny aspect of MusicBee more tablet- or 10-feet friendly.

Software is usually designed for either mouse-use, or to be finger-friendly.

Thanks for your fervent replies.

1. But this is definitely an interface issue in which many now have touch laptops (MS Surface is 2012 timeframe)... hell most laptops are touch now-a-days, of course unless you are working off a MAC.
2. This isn't about a 10 foot interface, I don't wish that nor the theatre mode of this app. I just would like "ONE Single" consideration of a finger friendly, user friendly area of horizontal scrolling, instead of the rather tiny navigation features that exist now.
3. Software has been designed for both mouse and finger friendliness for the last several years, at least on Windows machines.

Please stop disparaging my remarks and thank you for being so helpful to all the other times you have helped me out in the past with questions on how to do things. Your advice when I was introducing myself to this app was really helpful to me.
Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 02:06:43 PM by mesonto

hiccup

Please stop disparaging my remarks…
I don't think I was doing that. I believe you assumed to know how I use MusicBee, what sort of equipment I am using, and to what level I care, or have an understanding about things involving (digital) audio quality.
I think it's fair for me to respond to such a more personal comment.

As I also said, I am not against the requested feature in itself. (I might even use it myself once in a while)
I am just sharing my thoughts about the larger scale of things.

I am glad to hear that such behaviour of mine has also helped you in the past.
But it can obviously also result in some disagreements on things once in a while.
I don't think that should be a problem.
Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 02:42:50 PM by hiccup

Mr. Mike

+1

Especially since 2-in-1s and laptops with a touchscreen have started becoming more popular than ever before, in recent years

I have used this software for years and years, and I always come back to the forums to read what people are requesting and of course for some technical help once in a blue moon but I have alawys just lurked.  ;)  During this time my equipment that I use has gotten faster and easier to use. Anyway to make a long story short as they say, I saw this suggestion and also want to give it a huge +1.

The reason is that I have been using touch laptops for almost a decade now and I would find this feature extremely valuable for ease of use. I find those small arrows making single horizontal scroll page swipes awkward.

But allow me to double down, I would also like to see more of this app better tuned for finger swipes. I am all in. I simply won't go back to a non-touch screen, so any app that moves in this direction is great!!!

The Incredible Boom Boom

What's 'general' exactly?
(yes, I am aware there are two very contradicting terms in this very short sentence, which I think summarizes perfectly why I think this is not something that should be expected or asked for)

I should have been more specific, but mostly just incorporating things MB already can handle, like the original poster mentioned side-to-side scrolling.
I didn't mean adding gestures or anything that MusicBee doesn't already do.