Author Topic: Discrepancy between Library Statistics and Music Explorer  (Read 666 times)

getmusicbee_account1111

Library Statistics was showing that I have 23 tracks from an artist, so I went to check what they were in Music Explorer but only saw 13.
This made me wonder how Library Statistics are calculated.

Is simply mentioning an artist (say, in the file name or the Comment tag, not in the Artist, Album Artist or Composer tags) enough to increment the count?
If so, I don't think that should be the behavior.
The behavior should be that only if the artist is listed in one of the aforementioned three tags, should the track count be incremented.

For example, if the filename is red.mp3 and the Artist tag is Tyler, the Creator;Eminem,  the track count should only go up for Eminem and for Tyler, the Creator, while the track count for Red (the band) should remain unchanged.
Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 09:55:34 PM by getmusicbee_account1111

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't know for certain, but I'd bet a pretty penny that the filename has nothing to do with track counts. Filenames can be all over the place and not necessarily contain a band's name. I would also be surprised if an artist's name in the comments section would have an effect on the track count.

Track counts should be looking at the tags, and only the tags. So I would suggest that you carefully check all the tags of those "extra" ten tracks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

getmusicbee_account1111

Yes, you're right.
I didn't realize, but there's this little ellipses sign:

next to the Artist field, and when I click on it, sometimes there's extra stuff there.
And that's where that artist shows up in all of the extra 10 songs.
That's so sneaky!

Would you mind explaining how this differs from the "standard" way of including multiple artists using the semicolon?
Is this something in the id3 specification?

More importantly, can I get rid of it in bulk?
I don't see much use for it.
I can't even see the artists hidden under those ellipses at a glance, so all this does is add confusion.

phred

• Global Moderator
That's so sneaky!
I disagree. You should remember that MB is a music manager first and foremost.

The ellipses opens up the Multiple Artist Splitter, so that other artists on the track can be easily defined and searched for. I also allows the user to define how the artist is to be displayed.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

getmusicbee_account1111

Sure, I was being facetious.
I just wonder what the difference is between the ellipses and the semicolon method.
Is one more "proper" than the other?
Are both within the id3 specification?

hiccup

Just some well meant advice:
You created this post in 'Bugs', and it wasn't a bug. So it should be locked or moved.

You now have other questions, for which you could/should create a specific 'Questions' topic.
But better yet, do search the forum on the matter, this 'id3 separator specification' stuff has come up and has been discussed and explained  many times before.

B.t.w., if you want to have a quick overview of all these artists you find 'hidden', use 'Artists'. E.g. as a column in track details, or as a field in the 'Track Information' panel.

getmusicbee_account1111

That's fair.
FWIW I thought it was a bug at first, as should be evident from the title.
I did search for the "discrepancy" stuff before posting and didn't find anything, but the separator question is indeed a different matter.

B.t.w., if you want to have a quick overview of all these artists you find 'hidden', use 'Artists'. E.g. as a column in track details, or as a field in the 'Track Information' panel.

Thanks!
That's helpful.
If only there were a way to show all the tracks, including the "hidden" ones, for every artist like in Music Explorer..
Edit: To answer my own question: it's possible using Column Browser!
Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 09:04:47 PM by getmusicbee_account1111