Author Topic: Option to ignore leading "The"s for artists only  (Read 1178 times)

belomeclone

Good morning!

I am requesting the ability to toggle which fields you want to ignore the leading "The". Currently Musicbee has a toggle to either recognize or ignore a leading "The", but it applies across Artist, Album, and Song. I would like this to be granular, as I only wish to ignore the leading "The" for artists only.

Thank you!

Steven

• Administrator
I dont plan to implement this request as you can use the custom sorting functionality

belomeclone

I dont plan to implement this request as you can use the custom sorting functionality

I understand the Custom Sorting functionality exist, but looking into it it does not seem to be very practical or useful for this particular idea. Every new Album or Song I add I will need to check for an add a new rule for. I have 159 songs starting with "The" and 191 albums (excluding duplicates) that start with "The". It just does not seem to be a practical suggestion.

It's okay if the decision is to not add it, but for this case I don't think Custom Sorting is a practical replacement.

phred

• Global Moderator
...for this case I don't think Custom Sorting is a practical replacement.
If you invest a little time and set up Custom Sorting for the tracks and albums mentioned, you'll be done. Then make Custom Sorting part of your regular workflow.

I had close to 500 tracks that needed to be custom sorted and I did it over the course of two days. Now that I'm "caught up" I just double-check custom sorting every time I add a new album.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

belomeclone

...for this case I don't think Custom Sorting is a practical replacement.
If you invest a little time and set up Custom Sorting for the tracks and albums mentioned, you'll be done. Then make Custom Sorting part of your regular workflow.

I had close to 500 tracks that needed to be custom sorted and I did it over the course of two days. Now that I'm "caught up" I just double-check custom sorting every time I add a new album.

What Custom Sorting do you have applied? I can see many instances where you want a special Custom Sorting, but not for removing the word "The" from searches. That seems like something that should be automated, especially since the feature already exists in MusicBee.

phred

• Global Moderator
What Custom Sorting do you have applied?
If you only want the artist to ignore the word "the" then use custom sorting and edit the sorting for everything other than the artist.
Select the artist/album/track > right click > Edit > sorting

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

belomeclone

I highlight all the The Black Keys songs, I edit -> sorting, click the boxes, hit save. The box closes. I reopen the box, and it has not saved. I do not know why that is happening.

And if it does work, I understand the power and flexibility of the Sort feature, but it feels like something the player should do for me. Especially since the feature is already present. I'm just asking for more granularity on an existing feature. The Custom Sort feature seems useful for something like Prince or another symbol-related artist or song. Not for ignoring leading "The"s. That is something the software should do for you. And the software agrees because it does do it for you. I'm just asking for granularity.

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm just asking for granularity.
I understand that, but Steven has already said he has no plans to implement what you want. I'm showing you what Steven suggested as a way to accomplish what you're looking for.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

belomeclone

I'm just asking for granularity.
I understand that, but Steven has already said he has no plans to implement what you want. I'm showing you what Steven suggested as a way to accomplish what you're looking for.

I understand and appreciate that. But I am not looking to be constantly setting a new Custom Sort whenever I add a new song. I feel like it would overwhelm me and my music discover. Does this band have a "The" in it? The song? The album? It would take over the fun of tagging music. Plus the Custom Sort fields would be massive and dense.

I was only trying to illustrate the impracticality of the Custom Sort option, at least from my perspective. But he doesn't need a reason to not implement a feature. But I do hope he reconsiders, as long as it's an easy change.