Author Topic: Does MusicBee save ratings in the tags of flac files  (Read 1614 times)

EGOlein

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if MusicBee saves ratings in the tags of flac files or if ratings can be saved in flac files at all?

Currently I am in the process of replacing mp3 files by flac files. The tags of the existing mp3 files includes the rating (I can see them e.g. in Windows Explorer). First doubts came up when I copied the mp3 tags to the flac files with using mp3tags for this procedure. When deleting the mp3 files in Windows Explorer and replacing them in MusicBee by the prepared flac files the rating was lost. In Windows Explorer the ratings are also not shown.

Okay, could be that mp3tag does not copy the rating but I added the ratings to the flac files manually in MusicBee (store ratings in music files is activated in MusicBee). However,  Windows Explorer does still not show the rating (also not in properties).

Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks
EGOlein
Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:20:38 AM by EGOlein

frankz

Musicbee stores the rating in the POPM id3 frame for MP3 and in the Vorbis RATING tag for FLAC. If you're copying them outside of MB, then you'll need to account for the different formats. If you copy the ratings inside of MB, MB does this accounting for you.

EDITED: Typo
Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 02:15:27 PM by frankz

EGOlein

Hallo,

Musicbee stores the rating in the POPM id3 frame for MP3 and in the Vorbis RATING tag for FLAC. If you're copying them outside of MB, then you'll need to account for the different formats. If you copy the ratings inside of MB, MB does this accounting for you.
Great, I did not know that MB can copy tags and it works even better than with an external software like mp3tag. However, the ratings are not copied. If I understood you correctly this should be the case. Do you have an idea why it is not done?

Best,
EGOlein
Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 12:46:04 AM by EGOlein

frankz

Sorry, I do not have any idea.  Should copy just like any other tag. They do here.

You didn't change the setting recently, did you? What I mean is, these ratings are currently saved as tags in the file, not database only, right?  Simply changing the setting from database ratings to tag ratings after having rated songs to the database doesn't go back and change all of the already database-rated songs so the rating is now in the tag instead. It only changes what will happen going forward for new ratings.

EGOlein

Hi frankz,

no the ratings should be stored in the file. I checked the settings (Save ratings in music files is ticked) and I can also see them in Windows Explorer. Therefore, they are definitely in the mp3 files. I am wondering why MB copies the "Love Hearts" but not the ratings. Or at least MB does not show the ratings. Is there a way to find out if ratings are in the flac files outside MB?

EDIT: What I found right now: It is the same with mp3tags: If I copy the tags with mp3tags the hearts are available but not the ratings. Is there anything in MusicBee that I might have adjusted accidently (perhaps years ago)?

Maybe this one will do what you need:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13728.0
Maybe. I will need some time to read and understand. Actually, I am not an expert of the technology and methods behind the tags.

Thanks
EGOlein
Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 08:48:28 AM by EGOlein