Author Topic: Need Help Trying To Link My Wireless HD to MusicBee  (Read 1140 times)

Risk529

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a new external hard drive for my music and I went with a wireless one so I don't have to keep it attached. The problem I am running into is that since the hard drive is wireless - its data is housed under networks - even in trying to create shortcuts in the set of folders Musicbee lets me select from - the folder still doesn't show up.

I guess I am wondering is there any way to add/change the available folder options so I can have musicbee scan my hard drive for the files?

phred

• Global Moderator
Map a drive letter to the directory on the portable where your music files are and tell MB to use that drive letter.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Risk529

The issue is that everytime I try and map it - the drive does not show up in MB

phred

• Global Moderator
The issue is that everytime I try and map it - the drive does not show up in MB
Does it show up as a drive letter in file explorer?

Make sure that the computer node is appearing in the navigation panel.
Right-click on the word computer > manage folders > show all folders.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Risk529

So I can map it on my File Explorer but I still can not make the folder discoverable in MB (see the screenshots)

phred

• Global Moderator
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
Is the IP address of the external static? Or a DHCP assigned address and different every time you connect the external?

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

phred

• Global Moderator
I would strongly suggest getting the latest portable version from the first forum topic, and then updating to the latest 3.5 patch available from my signature below.

I don't know if that will solve the issue, but you've got nothing to lose by trying it.

I also suggest the portable version in case as a) the store version doesn't get updated all that frequently and b) with the portable install, you can just copy then entire MB directory and move it to any other directory. Place it in c:\MusicBee, or something similar, but -not- in c:\users\...

Lastly - you don't have much space left on your c:\drive. Try to free up some space.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Risk529

Sounds good- I am going to try these fixes and report back to you and as to you last point haha - that is why I am trying to move my music over to a harddrive that does not need to be attached to my computer 24/7

phred

• Global Moderator
...that is why I am trying to move my music over to a harddrive that does not need to be attached to my computer 24/7
If the IP address of the external hard drive is not static, this could easily be the root of the issue. You said that "the IP should  remain static." [Emphasis mine.] "Should" implies you're not certain. You need to determine that it is a static IP. If it's dynamic, it could be changing every time you reconnect it.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Risk529

I would strongly suggest getting the latest portable version from the first forum topic, and then updating to the latest 3.5 patch available from my signature below.

I don't know if that will solve the issue, but you've got nothing to lose by trying it.

I also suggest the portable version in case as a) the store version doesn't get updated all that frequently and b) with the portable install, you can just copy then entire MB directory and move it to any other directory. Place it in c:\MusicBee, or something similar, but -not- in c:\users\...

Lastly - you don't have much space left on your c:\drive. Try to free up some space.

Hey @phred: Thank You! Once I installed the portable version - the drive showed up as an option that I could select. I am importing my files now and should be 100% good to go! Thank you again for all of your help

phred

• Global Moderator
You're quite welcome. Glad to hear you've got things under control. Once you're satisfied with the portable install, uninstall the Store version and don't look back. Steven is posting 3.5 patches about once a week, so you can save the link in my signature and grab the latest patch periodically.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki