Author Topic: Correctly Formatting audio-files for recognition  (Read 948 times)

swedishme

If I got files with no meta-data, how should I rename the files to work?

I tried different combination but I only get the track number + artist name in "artist name":

Also is it possible to add the year of the album as well?

Code
01. Artist Name - Album Name - Title Name.ogg
Code
01 - Artist Name - Album Name - Title Name.ogg
Code
01_Artist Name - Album Name - Title Name.ogg

But the track does not appear in the tracks it only show up in artist when importing the file.
Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:14:16 AM by swedishme

The Incredible Boom Boom

The developer is the only likely person who can answer this, because keeping up with such an obscure system seems like a lot of unnecessary work. Is there a particular reason you would not want to use tags to manage your files in a tag-based music manager?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Or are you trying to get metadata from the file names? I'm not sure I understand the question.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

swedishme

I have about 600-files or more left with no meta-data at all, I Could do this manually, but I have done about more than the double and I'm getting tired of importing and renaming. However I have importet and the track number then artist is in the track, I then used the tool to add number, then delete the track number from each song. (It's selfmade songs, demos and other stuff so nothing official released, otherwise I would have used the tagging-tool for album)

It does however split when importing and it has a "-", the first part before is Artist and part after is title. So I was wondering if its possible to just rename to get track number and similar to import as well.

hiccup

I'm pretty sure all popular tagging tools such as MP3tag, Picard, Tag&Rename, etc. can generate tags from filenames.

swedishme

I'm pretty sure all popular tagging tools such as MP3tag, Picard, Tag&Rename, etc. can generate tags from filenames.

It looks like MP3tag would work with ogg-files. But I do prefer if there were a way without having to using more programs. :) Thank you for the tip.

vincent kars

Musicbee has the option to generated tags from filenames as well

You must build a template
File name
Chiaroscuro Quartet\Beethoven - String Quartets Op. 18, Vol. 1\01 - String Quartet No.1 in F major, Op. 18 No.1 - I. Allegro con brio.flac
Template
<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#> - <Title>

You might also try the auto tag feature: "Identify track", it will do an internet lookup

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Auto-Tagging

swedishme

Musicbee has the option to generated tags from filenames as well

You must build a template
File name
Chiaroscuro Quartet\Beethoven - String Quartets Op. 18, Vol. 1\01 - String Quartet No.1 in F major, Op. 18 No.1 - I. Allegro con brio.flac
Template
<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#> - <Title>

You might also try the auto tag feature: "Identify track", it will do an internet lookup

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Auto-Tagging

So two folders, first artist, then album name... I will give that a try. And the auto tag feature is useless sadly cause I have never shared any off my songs or recordings so they are not documented.