Author Topic: Copying Playlists and Tracks Onlly  (Read 1508 times)

CatDaddy

I think I must be having a senior moment.......all I want to do is create a USB stick with selected playlists from my library to put in the car. I've done this previously by plugging a stick in, unchecking the 'Sync Music' box in Settings, and then selecting the playlists I want to copy. I then get a stick with an empty Music folder and a Playlists folder containing the artists, the tracks, and playlist files.

I followed this process yesterday and no matter what I do, when I hit Synchronise the Music folder on the USB stick starts to fill up with tracks. The upshot being that later on I get a warning that the stick is out of space, which isn't surprising.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing or have forgotten to do?

Thanks

ma_t14

Are you sure that you are changing the sync settings for the connected usb stick and not another device?

phred

• Global Moderator
A screenshot of your device settings might be helpful here.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

CatDaddy

As sure as I can be. When I pop the USB stick into the PC, it shows up under Devices as drive 'J' and the correct Windows name of the stick. The 'Synchronise Music' box is not ticked but when I hit Synchronise, the files start copying to the Music folder on that stick - I can see it happening in Explorer.

Hopefully, I've followed the instructions correctly and a screenshot should be here - https://www.mediafire.com/view/wlrkbf4l3m1q05d/MBee1.JPG/file

CatDaddy

Also, in Edit/Preferences/Devices it shows up there and I've attached a screenshot of the Sync settings shown there - https://www.mediafire.com/view/kt7rgiwuiby4cxh/MBee2.JPG/file

ma_t14

MusicBee is probably transferring the exact playlisits you are selecting, to the exact folders you have set in your settings. Nothing more. The overall size is just too big for your USB stick. EDIT - Probably explained by the fact that you have most of the tracks already in separate playlist folders. See below.

But from what you said here

... I then get a stick with an empty Music folder and a Playlists folder containing the artists, the tracks, and playlist files.

you want this option to be checked

Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 01:57:42 PM by ma_t14

CatDaddy

I think that might have cracked it. Doh! I should have remembered that. As a side issue, is there a setting whereby the sync will skip over files already on the stick and just copy files I've added since the last sync?

ma_t14

I think that might have cracked it. Doh! I should have remembered that. As a side issue, is there a setting whereby the sync will skip over files already on the stick and just copy files I've added since the last sync?

It should already be doing that. It won't transfer a track if it finds the same file in the same path.

phred

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the screenshots. And I agree with everything ma_t14 has said.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

CatDaddy

It did appear to be copying some files that I knew were already there. Maybe there's a flag set incorrectly on those files but it's no big deal.

At least the process has now completed successfully.

Many thanks for your prompt expert advice.

Much appreciated.

phred

• Global Moderator
It did appear to be copying some files that I knew were already there.
Is it possible that the tags have been changed on the file you knew were already there? Changing tags will cause a file to be synced again.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

CatDaddy

I haven't changed anything manually. I've seen it before when I sync my entire library and playlists to my NAS. For some reason, it always re-copies a particular album. I've never known why and as it doesn't really hinder the process, I've taken the 'If it works then don't try and fix it' approach  :D 

ma_t14

Would be quite interesting to investigate how the two differ or what makes MB think they are not identical