Author Topic: After files moved remotely: "The files have been updated outside of Musicbee"  (Read 645 times)

ioomusicbee

I moved my library to a remote location. Everything is working fine in terms of playing and accessing the files except when I try to edit a file I get the message:

The File(s) being edited have been updated outside of MusicBee...

How does Musicbee determine that a file has been updated outside of Musicbee? Does it compare the size + mod date? Although the mod date has not changed, my guess is that the resolution of the mod date on the new remote filesystem is different enough to trip this warning.

Scanning the entire library again is not an option and I know none of the files have actually been updated. If I know what criteria Musicbee is using to determine that a file has been updated I could possibly adjust my mount parameters so as not to trip this warning. Or is there a way I can possible toggle this warning off?

phred

• Global Moderator
Scanning the entire library again is not an option
Why not?

Or is there a way I can possible toggle this warning off?
No such option exists.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't have any suggestions, but I often had the same problem when my files were on a network drive.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ioomusicbee

Scanning the entire library again is not an option
Why not?

I can't scan the entire library now due to bandwidth constraints as the files are not local.

Or is there a way I can possible toggle this warning off?
No such option exists.
I coudn't find any toggle either. This is why I am asking about the specifics of how MusicBee is determining how a file was updated outside. Do you know if it is looking at mod time + file size or is there a checksum involved? File size and checksum wouldn't have changed. The mod time is the same also however different filesystems have different resolutions for storing timestamp values. If I know how musicbee is making this determination I can try to adjust my mount settings so I don't trip the warning. I searched this forum various search engines but didn't find too much helpful information about this issue. Perhaps @Steven could add some insight.

frankz

When I had separate installer version installs on each computer that I used to access my library on a shared folder (Windows), I had this problem all the time.

This problem resolved itself when I went to a portable install in another shared folder that I run from each computer.  In other words, each computer runs the same exe with the same appdata and settings.

I don't know if this is what solved it or why it would be if so, but that's been my experience.