Author Topic: How to add performer roles in batch?  (Read 1856 times)

Johan_A_M

Hi!

I'm trying to add roles to a multitude of classical music albums, but I can't sort out how to do it the best way. For example, I'd love to select hundreds of files with Martha Argerich and add her role as "piano". However, If I select all these files and bring up the artist splitter, it's empty (I'm thinking because the files differ in information here), and if I add her name and role and save, all other (possible) roles disappear (for example, if the composer, or a soprano or... were there, they're now gone). It's like I exchange the present info in role/performer instead of add/append. I'm really not good friends with the splitter yet, but we're working on it :)
Any help appreciated!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Something like this is a better job for either the Additional Tagging and Reporting Tools plugin or the Tag Inspector.  Adding performers is a little trickier than adding artists, but if you look at the way your existing tags show up in the Tag Inspector, that should give you some guidance for how to alter other files. Hopefully someone with more direct experience than me can offer more specific advice.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Johan_A_M

Something like this is a better job for either the Additional Tagging and Reporting Tools plugin or the Tag Inspector.  Adding performers is a little trickier than adding artists, but if you look at the way your existing tags show up in the Tag Inspector, that should give you some guidance for how to alter other files. Hopefully someone with more direct experience than me can offer more specific advice.
Thanks!
It seems like there's a tag called Musician Credit/TMCL that contains this info. When creating a virtual tag about this, "Instruments: Performer" seems to be correlating to this info. I'm able to get this virtual tag. However, I can't create such a tag in Tag inspector if it's not there from the start (probably from Picard). Also, If I create a virtual tag called Instruments:Performer, including simply the existing tag Instruments:Performers, I still canät get it to appear in the Tag Editor to the right?

Edit: Sorry, just saw that it's down at TXXX/MUSICIANCREDIT in the Tag Inspector.
Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 04:27:43 PM by Johan_A_M

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It seems like there's a tag called Musician Credit/TMCL that contains this info. When creating a virtual tag about this, "Instruments: Performer" seems to be correlating to this info. I'm able to get this virtual tag. However, I can't create such a tag in Tag inspector if it's not there from the start (probably from Picard).

TMCL has some special formatting but I'm not sure why you couldn't edit it in the tag inspector. Can you explain what's happening?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Johan_A_M

TMCL has some special formatting but I'm not sure why you couldn't edit it in the tag inspector. Can you explain what's happening?

Sorry, I was looking for MUSICIAN CREDIT in the list, but found it further down as TXXX/MUSICIANCREDIT, my bad.

Is there a way of getting this to show up in the Tag Editor to the right, or at the bottom?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
TMCL is "MUSICIAN CREDITS", see below:

The format is role:Artist. It will then show up in the Multiple Artist Splitter, not in Tags(2):

MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Sorry, I was looking for MUSICIAN CREDIT in the list, but found it further down as TXXX/MUSICIANCREDIT, my bad.

TMCL is "MUSICIAN CREDITS"

I think it depends on if you are using 2.3 or 2.4 ID3 tagging.
To maintain compatibility, I'm sure I remember Steven using TXXX/MUSICIANCREDIT in ID3v2.3 rather than reverting to the old IPLS tag.

EDIT:  Otherwise TMCL and TIPL get lumped together in IPLS in v2.3.
Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 01:08:07 AM by Bee-liever
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You're right, under 2.3 it's different because TMCL doesn't actually exist. I assumed since he already found the tag in Tag Inspector that he's using 2.4. But maybe I assumed too much.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)