Author Topic: Populating # with Track Number in Ripped Files  (Read 813 times)

tonycscott

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Tony Dog
Hello, all.  Full disclosure, I am a complete hack and do not understand how files get created when I Rip music and create a Library.

I connected a portable hard disk containing all the files I Ripped from CDs using MusicBee to a Cambridge Audio 81N pre-amp which automatically builds a directory of the music.

When I scroll through the directory on some albums, the songs are ordered as they were on the CD.  The great majority however list out in alphabetical order.

I looked at the files for the albums where they were listing in album order and determined that some of the song files had the track number in the "#" column.  The others did not.  I went in to Music Bee and saw that there was data in the Track field for all my songs, so the question is.....

How do I ensure that the resulting files I created from ripping the CDs are populated with the Track numbers so they will display in the same order on my pre-amp as they would on the CD?

Thank you in advance!

Tony

hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 8017
When I scroll through the directory on some albums, the songs are ordered as they were on the CD.  The great majority however list out in alphabetical order.

Welcome to the forum tonycscott.

Are you doing this on your Cambridge Device?
Then it could be that your question would better be asked on a forum that has some knowledge about these devices.

For as far as MusicBee (might) play a role in this, you could compare the albums (their tracks) that display as you expect vs. albums that display differently.
You could use MusicBee's tag inspector for that.
Fields to look for discrepancies are probably: 'album' 'album artist' 'track nr', perhaps 'compilation', 'grouping', or anything else related to what defines an album.

frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3868
Is the device looking at file names rather than tags to determine track number, and, if so, do the incorrectly listed files have track numbers in their file names while the correctly listed files do?

tonycscott

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Tony Dog
Hi, Frank.

I have determined that any files I ripped from CDs to .flac have the "#" field populated with Track #.  Not so for .wav files.  I did speak with Cambridge Audio and they told me I had to edit the metadata myself.  I cannot imagine editing each song file directly, so looking for a tool that can strip out the two digits in format "99" used for Track Number and then populate the "#" field in the .wav file with that value.  Any suggestions?

Thank You,

Tony

frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3868
I think any tagging tool should be able to infer the track numbers from the file names with some work.  I know mp3tag can.  Maybe MB even can, but I don't know because I don't use it for tagging.

Beware that tagging wav files and reading tags from wav files is known to be problematic.  There's no reason not to convert wav to flac, if only for the increase tagging compatibility.

tonycscott

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Tony Dog
Frank - thank you so much!  I will check out the tools available

phred

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9452
Select track(s) > right-click > Auto-tag by track > Infer and Update Tags from Filename
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here