Author Topic: Still not getting my paths corrected  (Read 938 times)

RAMWolff

So somewhere here on this forum I had an older post.  Can't find it so here I go again.....

I have a new computer.   The paths changed for the music folder slightly and so now Music Bee is giving me play errors.  I've tried all the tricks to get the paths changed one way or the other per playlist but it's not working out very well.  I botched things up all over again thinking that if I "Scan folders for new files" and "Relink Music File paths" all would be well.  NOPE, that just botched things up even more. 

It's very odd though.  SOME of my playlists are linked correctly but about HALF are not and point to my old Dropbox folder where the music files are no longer living.  I think I suggested that it would be NICE if there were a Music Bee  update so one could drag and drop music from a new path and it would bring up a dialog asking if you want to update the file paths for the existing playlist rather than all this trouble.  I have music tagged a certain way, I have customized lyrics (because so many folks don't upload correct or truncated lyrics to the servers that Music Bee accesses) so all that will be lost if I give in and just kill and replace all the playlists that are not pointing to the correct folder. 

I remember one member telling me this is a really complex program but all I use it for is kinda what iTunes is about but I love Music Bee because it has built in and editable lyrics panel and it's got a dark theme option as iTunes is bright white which hurts my eyes.  So I'd love to get this resolved.  If it's not resolvable then just tell me that and I'll bite the bullet and go through my playlists and kill all the ones not pointing correctly and start over I guess. 

Thanks so much,
Richard

phred

• Global Moderator
Looks like you posted it in the Wishlist section
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=36037.msg197138#msg197138
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It sounded like you didn't want more input so I let it go, but if you do want help we'll need more info. For instance, what path does your playlist think they're at? Where are they actually?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

RAMWolff

My correct paths are in my Music folder on the C drive.  But as stated above SOME of the playlists are still pointing to the C:Dropbox folder (I've shortened up the paths to keep things secure for  the forum).  The strange thing is if I bring up the Relink Music File paths dialog and NONE of those have ever been used for my Music so not sure why those are so weird. 

I did create a screen grab but I guess the server being used for this forum doesn't have room to store images so that's a bust trying to show you.  It allows for three paths, all three paths recorded to this dialog are all incorrect and as mentioned above I've never used those for my Music (like a D drive or an E drive.  BOTH of those drives are for my art project backups so not sure what's going on there. 

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you look at the top of the area where you type a post, there's a link to a guide on how to post a screenshot.

The way Relink Music Paths works is that you need to set the old path (where it's looking for the files and not finding them) and the new path. You don't have to use all three lines, just leave the ones you don't need blank.

So for instance, you could have something like this:
Left hand side (old location): C:Dropbox\Music
Right hand side (new location): C:Users\<user>\Music

It will only work if the path from there on is the same.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

RAMWolff

OK, so if I go to Edit and look at the paths these playlists are all pointing to the same location but I do have all my music split into appropriate folder like Rock, Dance, Contemporary, Country, New Age and Jazz so not sure if I will need to go by each exact path or just the main path to the Music folder?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm not sure what you're saying. Is the basic folder structure of your files the same as before?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

RAMWolff

Hi.  So if I right click on one of the songs in a playlist there is a tab that shows the path of the song.  So that path, for about half the playlists is pointing to my old Dropbox path and not the Music folder path, the literally sit next to each other at C:\Users\UserName\ so what i need to do then, according to your info is that I need to copy the OLD path to the Relink Music File Paths and then paste in the new permanent path, correct? 

The thing that's probably confusing is that as I mentioned above within the Music folder are sub folders with all the music split into their correct categories but within those folders are the artists folder so example

My Music\Rock\Fleetwood Mac

So not sure if I will have to do this slowly a path at a time or if there is a "ALL IN" solution to point to the new path and have Music Bee do all the heavy lifting. 

frankz

You only need to enter the part that's different into the relink tool, so if all of your music was on C:\Dropbox\MyMusic\<Artist>\<Album> before and is now in C:\Users\USERNAME\MyMusic\<Artist>\<Album> , you would put  C:\Dropbox at the left and C:\Users\USERNAME at the right.  

It's basically a search and replace tool.  You only enter what you want to replace and what you want to replace it with, and if everything after that is organized the same in the new location as it was in the old location, then then you don't need to do anything else.  It searches the library database for what's on the left and replaces it with what's on the right and leaves everything else about the path alone.

RAMWolff

OK.  I'll give this a try tomorrow.  I need to hit the  bed. 

THanks so much

RAMWolff

So getting the hang of updating the paths, it's going to be a long road but at least I have all my other settings for the tracks still in place so it will be worth it in the long run.

My only other question about this is (since I can't upload an image here) where are the settings for the "Relink Music File Paths" stored so I can go in there and manually remove all the paths that are stored as they are irrelevant and having to remove those every single time I go to update another path is just wasting my time. 

I know that selecting and hitting the delete key is simple enough but when you have such a huge library as I do and only doing a path at a time when I need to remap each playlist is getting on my nerves having to constantly delete paths from the other 4 input boxes EVERY time I bring up that dialog. 

I would think the program would be smart enough to see that those paths are not needed and just leave those blank but NOPE..... they are refilled in every single time I dismiss the dialog! 

Thanks so much,
Richard