Author Topic: Sync Play Counts with Last.fm getting play counts incorrect by 156 for 2 songs??  (Read 1378 times)

SonicRings

This is such a weird issue. I just manually re-synced my play counts by deleting the LastFmPlayCountCache.dat file in AppData>InternalCache and going to Tools > Tagging Tools > Sync Play Count with Last.fm. Upon completion, the track that I was currently on (in the Stop state, mind you) now has 156 plays with the last played date being 12/31/1969.

I then moved out the LastFmPlayCountCache.dat file and had it generate a new one, this time with the next song in the album in the Stop state. The same thing happened, except it got 153 plays.

I re-synced again, then it got 127 plays.

I then created a dummy file by copying a song and stripping all tags from it, and named it Dummy.flac. Played that, hit stop, then re-synced once more, and now the track at 127 plays is at 156 plays. I just actually listened to it and now it's at 157.

Both of these songs had 0 scrobbles before suddenly getting 156.

______

I have a theory that this happened because the tracks had 0 plays when synchronizing play counts. I've listened to one of the tracks so it's at 157 plays now, and I've set it to the currently playing track. It is currently Stopped. I'm re-syncing play counts once more. Hopefully this fixes it. In which case, I'll have to listen to the other track with 156 tracks to get it to 157, so it had a legitimate listen, and then re-sync once more.

....Nope! Now that track is at 172.

______

What caused this, and how can I fix this? I've re-synced play counts 3 times now to no avail.
Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 02:36:12 AM by SonicRings

SonicRings

Of course after typing up this post and trying for the past 30+ minutes I somehow manage to fix this: removed the tracks from my library, re-added them, the one with 156 went down to 0 but the 172 (that I actually listened to once) stayed at 172. Deleted the scrobble from my last.fm, removed from library and re-added again, and bang, it's at 0 now.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. It's at 172 again. Just listened to it and it went up to 173. But the other one is still at 1 after I just listened to it.

EDIT 2: I deleted and re-synced my play counts again, and now it's at 99??? This truly is bizarre.

EDIT 3: Not even 5 seconds later it changed to 100 without me even playing anything lol

EDIT 4: Okay, I'm at a loss. I've spent 2 hours dealing with this. This time, I removed the album from my library, played the dummy file (with the title, artist, album tags set to "Dummy" and the track and year set to 01 and 2000), paused, then stopped. Then I closed MusicBee, renamed the .dat file to x.dat.old, opened MusicBee, then synced play counts, which of course took about 5-10 minutes. Then I closed musicbee, opened it, waited a minute, then put the album back in my library and scanned it back in to my library. Bam.

385 plays. I don't even have any songs that I've legitimately listened to 200 times and I can't change the number because every time it syncs with last.fm it will restore 385. Please help.

EDIT 5: Okay. I've scrobbled that dummy track. Then I closed musicbee, deleted the .dat, and re-synced play counts. Now those tracks have the correct number of plays AND my dummy track also has the correct number of 1 play. God, it's as if musicbee is allergic to Adele LOL. It just works now.

If you'd like to look into any of my files for a potential solution for this bug, I can send them. I've saved all but one, meaning I've done 10 attempts.

Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:20:48 AM by SonicRings

frankz

Have you considered that this may have been a temporary last.fm problem?  You never mention going to last.fm and seeing whether these erroneous scrobbles appeared there.  last.fm is far from trouble-free.  

When there's a problem between something that doesn't change (Musicbee and the way it retrieves the data - it does it the same way every time) and something that does (Last.fm and the data being sent - the data is different every time), the problem is almost always with the one that does change.  How would Musicbee do it right and then do it wrong and then do it wrong and then do it right?  It cant.  It does the same thing the same way every time.  It's the data that changes.

SonicRings

Have you considered that this may have been a temporary last.fm problem?  You never mention going to last.fm and seeing whether these erroneous scrobbles appeared there.  last.fm is far from trouble-free. 

When there's a problem between something that doesn't change (Musicbee and the way it retrieves the data - it does it the same way every time) and something that does (Last.fm and the data being sent - the data is different every time), the problem is almost always with the one that does change.  How would Musicbee do it right and then do it wrong and then do it wrong and then do it right?  It cant.  It does the same thing the same way every time.  It's the data that changes.

I did say that I deleted the scrobble in last.fm. So I did indeed check on last.fm and the erroneous scrobbles were not there. That's why musicbee reported the last listened date being 1969.