Author Topic: SOLVED: One Album Artist Missing from Album View  (Read 1173 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
Using 3.5.8057 P

This one is really mystifying me, although I know in the end I'm either missing something, or doing something wrong. Or both.

Album Artist view, sort by Album Artist / Album, no grouping, no filter. The entire collection is showing. Or so I thought.

Type in the search bar for "Grateful Dead" and a new tab opens with all the albums. Close the tab.

Custom Search for Album Artist contains  "grate" and a new tab opens with all the albums. Close the tab.

Use the A-Z jump bar, or just type "grate" and there are no albums showing for "grate".

Change the view to Track Details type "grate" and all the tracks show up.

I've spot-checked this with other album artists and it seems to only happen with the Grateful Dead.

What am I missing?
Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:45:03 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Have you checked your Sort As on those tracks? That's what usually causes myseteries like that for me (and why I have an auto-playlist dedicated to Sort tag errors).

Further musing... if that doesn't help, see what happens if you switch a tab with just Grateful Dead tracks to Album View. Also possibly check tag inspector.
Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 03:39:40 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

phred

• Global Moderator
Very interesting.

I don't know how it happened but the sort as for both album artist and artist was 'dead'. I've fixed just about all of them and all is well.
There are a couple of stragglers where there are multiple artists and I need to double-check them.

Thanks for the use of your brain, psycho.
Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 01:41:13 PM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Glad that was it!

Are you using MusicBee's custom sorting?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
Are you using MusicBee's custom sorting?
Yes, I am.
When I first found the mistake by looking at the sorting tab of the tag editor, I then went to custom sorting and saw the same thing. Pretty easy to fix from there.
And now I've corrected/updated the albums with multiple artists.

Thanks again.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I still have consistent issues with the Custom Sorting getting confused by artists who are also composers. It doesn't always have to be the same artist on the same track, although I get a lot of Williams, Hank vs Hank Williams conflations (even though I have entered "composer:Hank Williams" separately). But most recently I had a bunch of Joni Mitchell tracks sorting under k.d. lang, when Joni Mitchell is a composer on some of k.d. lang's tracks.

Not actually related but it reminded me: I'm not using Conductor for anything in terms of virtual tags or sorting, but I may create a custom tag for Sort Conductor, anyway. I prefer to keep artists, etc, in the person's native language/script and rely on Sort tags to store the transliterated name. Conductor is the only major "person" field not covered.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

The Incredible Boom Boom

When I first read this post, I thought, maybe it could be the "custom sort values" feature, but then decided against responding, because why would finding the artist in Track Details work as expected if so? Turns out that's what it was, but I still don't understand why it didn't affect the Track Details view. 🤔

The reason it was my first thought is because I'm constantly having to go through and clear "custom sort value" artists added by MB whenever tags are changed or multi-value <Artist> or <Artists: Performer> tags are imported to the Library from the Inbox. One day I was going to get around to bringing this up in the thread where I discovered this feature, but since @phred experienced it, I guess now is good timing.

In my primary (Artists) view, I "Group By" <Sort Artist> and inside the <Sort Artist> tag is the artist's name in their original script. Using "custom sort values," I do this...

Code
石川綾子 :: Ayako Ishikawa
石野卓球 :: Ishino Takkyu
秋元薫 :: Kaoru Akimoto
竹内まりや :: Mariya Takeuchi
絢香 :: Ayaka
菅野よう子 :: Kanno Youko
菊岡検校 :: Kikuoka Kengyo
菊池桃子 :: Momoko Kikuchi
衛藤公雄 :: Kimio Eto

This is such a great feature, because before I found it, artists using non-Latin characters were all grouped at the very bottom of the view and there was no simple way to jump to them without having to switch keyboard languages. So, right now, I can start typing, "Momo..." and jump right to 菊池桃子!Awesome! But, the downside is as explained above. Whenever MB detects tag changes or I import new files from the Inbox, <Artist>s and <Artists: Performers> associated with the <Sort Artist> get automatically linked to that <Sort Artist>. For example, I just put an N.W.A album into the Inbox and then back into the Library and the below showed up in my "custom sort values" box.

Code
Eazy-E :: N.W.A.
Eazy-E and Ron-De-Vu :: N.W.A.
Fila Fresh Crew :: N.W.A.
N.W.A :: N.W.A.
Rappinstine :: N.W.A.

😣 If I type "Eaz...", I get pulled to "N.W.A." and not "Eazy-E." This isn't a deal breaker, obviously, but it can be hecka annoying, because over the last few months I've been replacing all my lossy-ripped files and downloads with lossless ones, so there's a lot of constant deleting or copy/pasting only the artists I want to "custom sort" back into the box.

Hopefully that all made sense.

Now, my question is, does anyone have any ideas on how to mitigate this continually occurring? My first thought is there likely is a definitive reason MB functions in this manner, so maybe it can't be easily be optionally on or off (or can it? @Steven) My initial assumption when first checking the box was the user would take over the delegation of "custom sort values," leaving MB out of the equation, but that's clearly not what is going on. However, whenever I remove all the auto-added artists, there are no negative side-effects, so my impression is that the "auto" aspect of this feature isn't necessary in the first place? Would anyone else more familiar with the feature like to provide more input, as I'd soon like to make a wish to have it disabled by default (if possible) if a way to nullify or mitigate auto-adds isn't possible.
Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 05:49:21 PM by The Incredible Boom Boom