Author Topic: Duplicate manager improvements  (Read 4325 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm working on a project right now that involves rerunning the duplicate manager pretty often (because I'm using autoplaylists based off of the list of duplicates, which changes as I make updates).  Some things I've noticed that would be really helpful:

* Remember the "duplicates handling" choice berween uses - I'm so afraid I'm going to forget to change this at some point and accidentally remove files instead of creating the playlist.

* Treat ' and ’ the same for matching duplicates. It's missing a lot of duplicates because different versions of a track have picked up different apostrophes. (Sometimes one version got updated in MusicBrainz but another didn't.)

* Allow comparing Sort Title INSTEAD of Title. The duplicates manager will allow adding Sort Title, but it's useless when you can't uncheck Title at the same time. This would help with cases like "Aquarius - Let the Sunshine In" vs "Aquarius / Let the Sunshine In" because I could get them to match on Sort Titles. (Of course, it would also allow solving the previous problem with just a little extra work.)

* I know I've mentioned this before, but the ability to include bitrate in the comparison would be super helpful.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

vzell

+1 ... but make the apostrophe handling configurable

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
but make the apostrophe handling configurable

Fair. I don't know if this would be covered by "ignore diacritics" (I seem to remember not) but it seems like that should apply to the duplicate manager.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

The Incredible Boom Boom

* Treat ' and ’ the same for matching duplicates. It's missing a lot of duplicates because different versions of a track have picked up different apostrophes. (Sometimes one version got updated in MusicBrainz but another didn't.)

+1000
The most annoying part of Picard. I didn't realize what it was doing until tens of thousands of tracks tagged later. In the program, there's a check option to "convert Unicode punctuation to ASCII" and it would help immensely.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ironically, I was thinking about making the below request earlier today, but now it's not a big, big deal, plus... I'm already done replacing the files. DSF (and I assume DFF, as well) files show up as "lossy." Not a huge problem if you're aware comparing lossless files only to the DSD extracts, but if you're replacing actual lossy files with DAD extracts or vice versa could get a little nerve-wracking. 😬

Second request is some sort of exclusion parameter(s) for the "to delete" files. This has only happened to me once or twice, but it would be much less hairy mass replacing files if one didn't have to check each track for lossless (or whatever) files on the right side of the panel.

985 albums left to replace... 😩

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
In the program, there's a check option to "convert Unicode punctuation to ASCII" and it would help immensely.

Unfortunately, this has other undesirable side-effects, like messing up superscript and subscript text, certain symbols, etc. You're better off with a script that replaces all apostrophes with the same (probably ASCII) character. I dunno, I might implement that myself. There is currently a plugin to replace all unicode hyphens with a hyphen-minus, to prevent the same thing from happening with those characters.

(While I was fiddling with my organization settings I discovered that I had an artist using Cyrillic M at the beginning of their name, which created a separate folder from Latin M. That one I just manually edited, but if I ever have to tag it with Picard again I may add a script.)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Woot, thanks!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think I've tested all of these now and they're really helping, thanks again!

Just one more small request: could we have a hotkey for opening the duplicate manager?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

The Incredible Boom Boom

Just one more small request: could we have a hotkey for opening the duplicate manager?

+1