Author Topic: Can I get MB to do what Mediamonkey does RE: Iphone transfers and 2 way USB sync  (Read 1635 times)

stewlewis

Dear knowledgeable MB users can I achieve the following?
(I've tried drivers and plugins and workaround with intermediary apps, but nothing works like MediaMonkey)

3 things:

1. MM can send to Iphone as long as the iTunes/Copytrans drivers are installed. How do they achieve itunes folder access on the iPhone? Why can't MB do the same?

b. MM can do a 2 way sync from a USB drive or USB external HDD, what's getting in the way with MB? I only want to be able to update tags on the file and have it sync'd back.

and D: Not found a way to do this is MB or MM. If a file differs on the external device (USB/HDD) can I compare the two and update only the changed tags of the file in my library? To save doing the file copy.

I was trying to find an intermediate program between MB and my iPhone, to SEND TO: the tune and it would 'drag-dro'p it to the phone, such as the program Waltr, but I could never get that to work.

hiccup

Why can't MB do the same?

MediaMonkey is commercial software that has a team of paid developers.
MusicBee is free, unrestricted (not 'crippleware'), created and maintained by one person in his free time.

If you had done some forum research, you should have found that MusicBee makes no claims to be compatible with iStuff, puts no efforts in doing this (anymore that is, perhaps efforts were made many years ago), and more importantly: why that is the case.
(in a nutshell: because of Apple making this difficult and keeps making it difficult on purpose. They love their limiting garden wall and are putting in a lot of effort and millions of dollars to keep their users locked into their own eco system)

Hats off to MediaMonkey though.
It's very nice software, and anyone with iStuff should really consider trying/using/buying it.
Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 06:22:10 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
Dear knowledgeable MB users can I achieve the following?
(I've tried drivers and plugins and workaround with intermediary apps, but nothing works like MediaMonkey)
But did you try searching the forum?

1. MM can send to Iphone as long as the iTunes/Copytrans drivers are installed. How do they achieve itunes folder access on the iPhone? Why can't MB do the same?
Because MM has a staff of people that do the coding and can deal with the changes that IOS puts in every new version. MB has one developer, who doe this as a hobby in his spare time. And he doesn't have the time to deal with the frequent changes Apple makes in IOS.
If you had searched you'd have seen in the Tips & Tricks section that there are at least two ways to sync to iDevices. They're old and may not work.

b. MM can do a 2 way sync from a USB drive or USB external HDD, what's getting in the way with MB? I only want to be able to update tags on the file and have it sync'd back.
Again, searching is where you should start. Take a look at the Wiki for "syncing" and/or "devices." I can't remember which has information.

and D: Not found a way to do this is MB or MM. If a file differs on the external device (USB/HDD) can I compare the two and update only the changed tags of the file in my library? To save doing the file copy.
No, you have to copy the entire file.
Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 06:34:30 PM by phred
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Música

I came from a few months with MM; actually, I found nothing works like MusicBee  ;) . It's been years now and it never occurs to me to keep looking.