Author Topic: Splitting Artists Via "sort as"  (Read 1026 times)

Shine_Spark

Is there a way to use the sort as function to split multiple artists so that the song is sorted under both artists without editing the artist tag itself?

For reference here is the sorting tab for one of the songs I'm trying to edit. I believe that the syntax is correct under sort as but it does not appear to work.

Zak

• Global Moderator
No, Sort Artist will not make any difference to that. The only way to have a track listed under both artists is to split it in the Artist tag.

For sorting purposes, it doesn't make sense to have two separate values.
Even if a track had two different Sort Artist values I assume MusicBee will just read the first one and use that, but technically the result is "undefined".
Bee excellent to each other...

The Incredible Boom Boom

I believe that the syntax is correct under sort as but it does not appear to work.

Try adding a space after "Juice;"
You'll also have to use the Artists view and "Group by" <Sort Artist>

For sorting purposes, it doesn't make sense to have two separate values.
Even if a track had two different Sort Artist values I assume MusicBee will just read the first one and use that, but technically the result is "undefined".

All the displayed values appears. It's why this occurs when no selection is made in the Artists view.
Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 05:46:07 AM by The Incredible Boom Boom

Shine_Spark

No, Sort Artist will not make any difference to that. The only way to have a track listed under both artists is to split it in the Artist tag.

I was hoping that wasn't the case but I wanted to get confirmation before I retagged everything. Thank you for the information

The Incredible Boom Boom

I was hoping that wasn't the case but I wanted to get confirmation before I retagged everything. Thank you for the information

...did you not see my post at all?

Shine_Spark

...did you not see my post at all?

I did, but it didn't seem to work for me. I might have missed something due to being in a rush and I'll try again when I get back to my computer.

Zak

• Global Moderator
You'll also have to use the Artists view and "Group by" <Sort Artist>
That's a pretty big caveat.  :-\
Bee excellent to each other...

The Incredible Boom Boom

That's a pretty big caveat.  :-\

What I meant is the only way you can see each artist separately is using the Artists view.
In the Album Covers view, I believe it multiples the tracks when you open an album.
I'm not sure about the others.