Author Topic: Album Covers view only display the correct number of tracks  (Read 2171 times)

Shy Guy on Wheels

Selecting an artist using the thumbnail browser, and then selecting an album from the main panel, only returns the correct number of tracks, starting from the first track by that artist, rather then only having the tracks by that artist.

This only seems to affect the display tracks in a separate panel option. None of the other album cover view options, nor the Tracks view / Albums and Tracks view being used by themselves seem to have this issue.

As an example:

Note that there are only two tracks by Shinji Hosoe, despite the fact there are six tracks, which should all be by Shinji Hosoe.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
So what exactly is the question/problem here?
I'm honestly having a hard time understanding the post (I'm sure others are too, given the lack of responses). Care to rephrase?
Favourite tune at the moment:   Dearly Beloved by Yoko Shimomura from the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack

Shy Guy on Wheels

The best way I can put the issue into words is: When an artist is chosen in the thumbnail browser, and then an album is selected in the main panel, the tracks that are shown are the ones continuing on from the first track by that artist within the album, rather then all of the tracks by the artist chosen.

I'm specifically referring to when the main panel is set up with the option highlighted. Only then does this issue occur for me.

If it's of any use, here's a full view of how I have the application set up. The key things that seem to be an issue here are the thumbnail browser in the left column, and the album view in the main panel. I have selected an artist from the thumbnail browser, and an album selected in the main panel, so when I try to view the trakcs of that album in the main panel, I expect it to show the songs by that artist.

However, here it only displays two songs by that artist, and then the four songs following it, rather then the four other songs by that artist on the album. I'd like to know how to stop this from happening, as it doesn't seem to happen when displaying the tracks in Album cover view any other way.

To go alongside the image in the OP,  this is the set of tracks that should be displayed. Note it's the same number of tracks, but only the tracks by the artist I have selected (in this case, Shinji Hosoe), rather then just continuing from the first track on the album that credits him.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Thank you for the clarification. I now understand things better now.
Regarding the screenshot below from your OP, can you state what the album name and album artist is for the listed tracks?
Then here, can you also please provide the same info (album name and album artist)
Favourite tune at the moment:   Dearly Beloved by Yoko Shimomura from the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Also, I think your expectations of what the end result should be are incorrect. That's where the misunderstanding lies.

- When an artist is chosen in the thumbnail browser, and then an album is selected in the main panel...
   the tracks that are shown are the ones continuing on from the first track by that artist within the album, rather then all of the tracks by the artist chosen.

- I have selected an artist from the thumbnail browser, and an album selected in the main panel...
  so when I try to view the tracks of that album in the main panel, I expect it to show the songs by that artist.
When you select an album (anywhere in MusicBee), the only tracks that are displayed are ones which belong to that album.
An album, by default in MB, is simply a grouping that is applied to all tracks in the library with the same album name and album artist.

To go alongside the image in the OP,  this is the set of tracks that should be displayed. Note it's the same number of tracks, but only the tracks by the artist I have selected (in this case, Shinji Hosoe), rather then just continuing from the first track on the album that credits him.
It's merely a coincidence that the total number of tracks in the album you selected in your OP...is the same as the total number of songs in your library by Shinji.

So, likewise with Rio Hamamoto, you are only seeing two of his songs there because that's how many he has in the Tekken album you have selected.
Ajurika and Taku both have songs in that album...which is why they're appearing when you select the album.
MusicBee is not going to show all of Rio's songs when you select that album. (I believe this is what you expect it to do?)
Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 01:25:54 AM by Mayibongwe

Shy Guy on Wheels

Thank you for the clarification. I now understand things better now.
Regarding the screenshot below from your OP, can you state what the album name and album artist is for the listed tracks?
Then here, can you also please provide the same info (album name and album artist)
Album in OP
Album in Second Post
These are both various artists releases (as is most of my library)

When you select an album (anywhere in MusicBee), the only tracks that are displayed are ones which belong to that album.
An album, by default in MB, is simply a grouping that is applied to all tracks in the library with the same album name and album artist.

It's merely a coincidence that the total number of tracks in the album you selected in your OP...is the same as the total number of songs in your library by Shinji.
I have far more then that. Those are just his songs on that album, which is what I'm expecting. Not all of his songs, or songs on the album that aren't by him.

So, likewise with Rio Hamamoto, you are only seeing two of his songs there because that's how many he has in the Tekken album you have selected.
Ajurika and Taku both have songs in that album...which is why they're appearing when you select the album.
MusicBee is not going to show all of Rio's songs when you select that album. (I believe this is what you expect it to do?)
I'm not expecting it to show all of the songs by the artist, I'm expecting it all show of the songs by that artist on the album. I mentioned this in my previous post.
rather then the four other songs by that artist on the album.

Another picture but with the album covers view set up differently, and it is giving the results I'm expecting. All of the songs by that artist on that album, not all of the songs on the album, or all of the songs by that artist.

frankz

Selecting an artist using the thumbnail browser, and then selecting an album from the main panel, only returns the correct number of tracks, starting from the first track by that artist, rather then only having the tracks by that artist.
As an example:

Note that there are only two tracks by Shinji Hosoe, despite the fact there are six tracks, which should all be by Shinji Hosoe.
The other 4 are from another disc, right? 

How are you defining an album under "Edit->Edit Preferences->Sorting/Grouping...grouping...specify how songs are grouped to an album," and do these criteria match between the two discs?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
@frankz

I think the other example is perfect for what he is trying to point out.

From the Tekken 7 Soundtrack, Rio has got 6 songs in there (as shown in this screenshot), but when he tries to view the same Rio track list using the 'separate panel' option...
Instead of showing the same track listing, MB only shows the first Rio track that it encountered plus the next 5 tracks in that album (see this)

In other words, in both screenshots/views, MB is picking up the correct number of songs that Rio has in that album...
The only issue is that in the 'separate panel' view, the 6 songs that are displayed are no longer just by Rio.
They are now just album tracks listed in a sequential order where the first track in the sequence is of said artist.

I hope I've understood that right. If I still have it wrong, I'll step aside on this one because I don't think I would be able to contribute any further.

@ShyGuyOnWheels
These are both various artists releases (as is most of my library)
One last thing , do you experience the same issue when you try to view an album that's not a 'various artists' release?

frankz

@frankz

Great.  Seems like you've got this covered for him.  Carry on.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
What's that supposed to mean?

How are you defining an album under "Edit->Edit Preferences->Sorting/Grouping...grouping...specify how songs are grouped to an album," and do these criteria match between the two discs?
I wrote to you (in a way) asking that you review the other example because it has answers to your questions.
The 2nd example also has songs from a 2nd disc and if you look at the 1st screenshot that I linked in my previous post, you would notice that both discs are being classified under the same album.
Is that not in some way an answer to your questions? If not, then I apologize for trying to answer on OP's behalf.

Shy Guy on Wheels

I have it defined by folder. All of the songs for a single album are included in it's own folder, regardless of disc, and the same is true of this album.

@frankz

From the Tekken 7 Soundtrack, Rio has got 6 songs in there (as shown in this screenshot), but when he tries to view the same Rio track list using the 'separate panel' option...
Instead of showing the same track listing, MB only shows the first Rio track that it encountered plus the next 5 tracks in that album (see this)

In other words, in both screenshots/views, MB is picking up the correct number of songs that Rio has in that album...
The only issue is that in the 'separate panel' view, the 6 songs that are displayed are no longer just by Rio.
They are now just album tracks listed in a sequential order where the first track in the sequence is of said artist.

I hope I've understood that right. If I still have it wrong, I'll step aside on this one because I don't think I would be able to contribute any further.
Yes, that's exactly what my issue is.

One last thing , do you experience the same issue when you try to view an album that's not a 'various artists' release?
Any release that isn't various artist, all of the songs are by same person, so there wouldn't be a chance for this issue to occur.

I should note that none of my albums actually have various artists as the album artist, I usually use the publisher or group name for those. Changing the album artist to various artist or using the iTunes compilation tag didn't seem to affect this issue however.

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
I'm now able to reproduce this issue too. Sorry I took this long to understand what you meant.
It seems like this is a bug. Hope Steven will take a look and clarify.
To make it easier for him, these are the steps that he needs to take:

- Select an artist with an album that has two discs (using the thumbnail browser).
- Then switch to the 'Album Covers' view in the main panel.
- In this view, when the album tracks are set to open in any way other than 'in a separate panel', they correctly show the artist's tracks.
- If set to 'separate panel', the tracks appearing are no longer the artist's tracks from both discs.
  The artist's tracks from disc 1 are included while the ones from disc 2 are replaced by album tracks that come after the last artist song in disc 1.

Edit: Seems to only occur when the selected artist is a featured artist in that album.
Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:26:27 PM by Mayibongwe

Steven

• Administrator

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Can confirm it's working perfectly now (hope OP will come around and do so too).
Thanks Steven.

Shy Guy on Wheels