Author Topic: Custom/Virtual Tags for Top Tracks Panel  (Read 3093 times)

greusch

This is a pretty specialized request based on how I use Musicbee, but I would like if at some point we could use custom/virtual fields in the "Top Tracks" list in the Music Explorer. Currently we can choose how it is sorted, but not what is displayed.

My use case is that I use a custom tag for different versions of the song, which get combined with the title using a virtual tag. For example if I have 2 remixes of the same song, the titles would be the same but the custom tag would contain the "extra" part of the title ("Remix by X" or "Extended Mix", etc). I did this so that when I add songs to a playlist it can properly detect duplicates (since it can only check song title). The virtual tag checks if that custom field isn't null and appends it to the song title with parenthesis if not.

When customizing my layout I've essentially replaced all the instances of the Title tag with my virtual tag, but that Top Tracks panel is one of the few holdouts I can't replace. It's not an important feature, but I'd appreciate if it could slide in at some point.

Thanks!

The Incredible Boom Boom

hiccup

(I have no opinion on the wish itself, just thinking: wouldn't it be better to instead of removing remix/version names from the titles, use an 'original title' tag for the original titles leaving out the extra information?)

The Incredible Boom Boom

(I have no opinion on the wish itself, just thinking: wouldn't it be better to instead of removing remix/version names from the titles, use an 'original title' tag for the original titles leaving out the extra information?)

In my case, "I Love You" is seen as distinct from "I Love You (extended version)" and "I Love You (radio edit)" on LastFM and play counts and loves are mismatched when the song is essentially the same. It might not bother others, but it's hella annoying to me.   

greusch

That's what I did initially, but when adding songs to playlists MusicBee only checks Artist-Title so it wouldn't properly detect duplicates and I'd end up with multiple versions of the song in my playlists. In my case I'd also be fine with being able to overwrite that behavior to check Artist-VirtualTag, but I'd have to change the custom tag for my entire library again.

hiccup

Ok, thanks for explaining. So the wish is mainly there so to circumvent some issues elsewhere. (with MusicBee and/or Last.fm)

Sorry for interrupting.
Back to the wish…

Steven

• Administrator
the ability to choose a virtual tag as the display field in the top tracks panel is implemented for the next v3.5 update

Steven

• Administrator