Author Topic: Help with customizing and configuring panels  (Read 2025 times)

musicmafia

Newb here, hoping someone can help me configure a panel similar to my Winamp config (shown below). If you simply clicked the Albums column header within that panel, it would automatically sort a list of artists based on the number of albums, from high to low. Likewise, if you simply clicked the Tracks column header within that panel, it would automatically sort a list of artists based on the number of tracks, from high to low.

Can I set up a panel in MB in the exact same way, so it will sort by number of albums and tracks by clicking a column header?

*** UPDATE: With the help and tips below I was able to sort the Artist Column Browser by Track Count, as it does in the Thumbnail Browser (if thumbs are displayed). Now, I am just looking for a way to sort Artists in the same way except by Album Count! Thanks!

Thanks again. People here have been very helpful and I appreciate it.
Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 01:25:14 AM by musicmafia

hiccup

You can't do it with the Column Browser at the top, but you can do it in the main 'Tracks' panel using these two virtual tags:

hiccup

You can't do it with the Column Browser at the top, …
Scratch that, you can do something there too, using a virtual tag like this:

$Count(<Album>,<Album Artist>) - <Album Artist>

But I don't think it's a very nice looking/working solution myself.

musicmafia

Thanks! I created the two virtual tags and placed them on both the top and bottom panels as a test. Although they do work if I select a specific artist or album, what I was trying to achieve (and did not explain properly in my OP) was this:

I am trying to sort the entire collection (by number of artist albums or tracks) when (ALL XXX items) is selected.

The best example is from when I was using Winamp (below). There were 3 columns (Artist, Albums, Tracks) and when I clicked Tracks it sorted the Artists by most to least number of albums (as seen below). When I clicked Albums it would sort the Artists by most to least number of total albums.

I thought it was a great feature and this is what I am trying to do in MB:

hiccup

I don't think that can be replicated in MusicBee.
But I'm happy to get corrected if somebody else knows a way.

But I would think using the formula that I presented in the Column Browser does provide the actual functionality that you are looking for?
(you can edit the formula to use Album Artist, Artist, Artists, Artists: Artist, etc.)

You could also  use the Thumbnail Browser to achieve something like it:

(It only shows 'count' when thumbnails are displayed though)

finally:
Perhaps more can be done using the Additional Tagging and Reporting Tools plugin.
I took a quick look at the 'auto library reports' that might be helpful here, but it did not understand how to use it.
Maybe someone else can help with that?

musicmafia

Thanks again hiccup! You're getting me one step closer each time!

I set the thumbnail browser to sort All Artists by track count and that is working awesome (as seen below).

Now if I could get it to sort All by Album Count, I would be in heaven.

The Sort options are: Count, Name and Year (greyed out). Is it possible to add a virtual formula to those options?

(I don't know anything about formulas but thanks to your screenshot I was able to duplicate your formulas and added the virtual tags in the column browser, but they only sort album and track counts by selecting a specific artist or album; they don't show for the whole collection, i.e. ALL).

Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 11:50:13 PM by musicmafia

Zak

• Global Moderator
Likewise, if you simply clicked the Tracks column header within that panel, it would automatically sort a list of artists based on the number of tracks, from high to low.
I might be missing the point here because the discussion veered off into virtual tags and I'm not about to dive into that at 1.30am...

But even though there is no visual indicator, you can click above the number values in the Column Browser to sort by the amount.

e.g.
Click here to sort genres by the number of tracks in each one:

Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

Click here to sort genres by the number of tracks in each one:

Huh? You can click the right side of that header?
Amazing discoveries, I never knew that. That's a well-hidden feature for sure.

It probably would be good if some sort of visual indication for that was added.

musicmafia

WOW! Who knew??? Thanks @Zak for pointing that out!

Sure enough, by clicking the right side of the header, the Artist Column Browser will sort Artists by Track Count, as it does in the Thumbnail Browser (if thumbs are displayed).

Now, the million dollar question is what do I need to do to sort Artists in the same way except by Album Count???

Clicking right side of Album header only sorts by albums with the most tracks. I need to sort Artists by the number of albums. Thanks!

Zak

• Global Moderator
It probably would be good if some sort of visual indication for that was added.

Now, the million dollar question is what do I need to do to sort Artists in the same way except by Album Count???

I think the easiest way to address both those things is to make a request in the Wishlist forum.

I think it wouldn't be too hard to add a second option to the context menu so this section would have:
* Show Track Count
* Show Album Count

A column heading of either "Tracks" or "Albums" could be displayed, which would also make it more discoverable that you can click to sort it.
This heading might need to be optional to avoid crowding the Column Browser heading row with text, either for narrow displays, layouts with lots of columns or just user preference for a cleaner look.

musicmafia

I was hoping someone might have another trick up their sleeve, but if not I will try and post in the wishlist. Thanks again.

Zak

• Global Moderator
The good news is that someone else already requested this a few years ago:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25561

The bad news is that I mistakenly thought Artist Album Count was already a thing, but it isn't.
I think I conflated Album Track Count and Artist Track Count.
So it may not be as easy to implement as I thought.

I've bumped the older thread with my post from above.

musicmafia

Thanks Zak! Yes, Artist Album Count is what I am looking for. Fingers crossed!