Author Topic: Pops during music playback  (Read 1577 times)

Horizons

Hi,

I've been dealing with a lot of pops and clicks while listening to music, I often skip back to see if there's a fault in the music file but once I go back the file itself seems fine.

I'm using a Schiit Modi 2 as my DAC and Wasapi Shared as the output, exclusive or Asio doesn't change anything in that regard. Neither does changing the buffer around, I've seen topics where people put the buffer high to resolve the issue and people turning off the buffer to fix it but neither works for me.

My music files are all on an SSD.

I'm on version 3.4.7805 P

Anyone got any ideas on what to try?

hiccup

Welcome to the forum, Horizons.

Please understand that this 'Bug reports' board is only for verifiable software/program bugs.
But you are having an issue that nobody will be able to replicate, since nobody has your exact hard- and software setup.

Anyone got any ideas on what to try?
Have you tried doing a forum search on this already? (best use Google for that)
It should lead you to several similar issues and how they were resolved for other users.

Horizons

Ah shit, my bad. Didn't mean to post this in the wrong sub.. can a mod perhaps move it to the correct one?

Have you tried doing a forum search on this already? (best use Google for that)
It should lead you to several similar issues and how they were resolved for other users.

I did and none of the supposed fixes worked for me, most of them solved their issues by changing the output or the buffer and neither did anything.

hiccup

How is it connected?
optical/coaxial/usb?
If usb, have you tried other cables? And/or different usb ports?
(certain usb 3 ports sometimes have had issues with certain dacs in the past, try a usb 2 port?)
And if you are using a usb hub for your dac; don't.
What's your Windows version?

Horizons

How is it connected?
optical/coaxial/usb?
If usb, have you tried other cables? And/or different usb ports?
(certain usb 3 ports sometimes have had issues with certain dacs in the past, try a usb 2 port?)
And if you are using a usb hub for your dac; don't.
What's your Windows version?

It's connected to my PC with a USB in 3.2 gen 2 port, the DAC wouldn't get recognized in the USB 2.0 ports I had.
USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports made the sound horribly crackled from every source constantly.. now it's just MusicBee and occasionally.
Straight to the motherboard ofc, no hubs.

Windows 10 latest build

hiccup

…the DAC wouldn't get recognized in the USB 2.0 ports I had.
That to me is a sign of something wrong with either:
The motherboard, the bios, the usb ports/drivers, Windows drivers, the usb2 cable (bad quality/too long), or perhaps even the dac itself.

Horizons

Every other device I have (Mouse, keyboard, microphone) seemed to work fine in the 2.0 slot. (currently only the mic is in there)

So you're thinking it's a dac issue? It makes me wonder because I don't seem to have an audio issues in videogames or movies.

sveakul

The Schiit Modi 2 not even getting recognized in the USB-2 port is definitely an issue, as its manual says "Use a short, truly USB
2.0-rated cable (2 meters or less.)"  Solve that and 5 will get you 10 the pops issue gets solved also.