Author Topic: How to retrieve good quality genre tags using Picard  (Read 24993 times)

hiccup

I was wondering if there is a way to use word wrap or if it's just something that'll come down to panel size and luck of the draw
When the tag splits the lines, it leaves the · behind.
Both are intentional.

- I don't like genre names getting cut-off to a next line.
If you want that you could simply use the <Genres> tag instead of my formula.
(disable 'split into rows' and set the number of rows that you want)

- The trailing middle dot indicates there are more genres to follow.

edit:
Playing around a bit with non-breaking spaces, I created one that seems to work nicely too.
It will neither truncate, nor cut-off a genre name to a next line.:

Code
$Replace($Replace(<Genres>," ",$Char(00A0)),;$Char(00A0)," · ")
1. It requires the Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools plugin to be installed. (a recent version of it)
2. Set the panel to not split tags into rows. Set the max.row span to your preference.
Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:39:56 PM by hiccup

Mr. Trev

just to confirm I have this set up properly

This tag will remove all spaces from the genre - ie. deathdoommetal

Another thing that just popped into my head while working on this.
Does any part of your virtual tag limit the number of tags displayed (maybe the number of "0,4" instances or string of numbers at the end)?
My thought was if I wanted to have 5 genre available for library purposes, but only display the first 2 in the track info panel

hiccup

So you also read/did this?:

1. It requires the Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools plugin to be installed.

Quote from: Mr. Trev
Does any part of your virtual tag limit the number of tags displayed (maybe the number of "0,4" instances or string of numbers at the end)?
Nope.
Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:01:43 PM by hiccup

Mr. Trev

So you also read/did this?:

1. It requires the Additional Tagging & Reporting Tools plugin to be installed.

Yes, I did read that, and it was installed (v5.5.8397). I'll see if a newer version is available…

hiccup

Yes, I did read that, and it was installed (v5.5.8397). I'll see if a newer version is available…
That's probably it.
The $Char function that the formula uses was added only recently to AT&RT, so an updated version is indeed necessary for this to work well.

boroda

hiccup

Updated the whitelist.

It surpassed the (questionable) milestone of now containing 3.000+ genres.

stargatetraveler

By chance has anything been developed that gives us this functionality without having to go through all this "programming"?

hiccup

By chance has anything been developed that gives us this functionality without having to go through all this "programming"?
No pain, no gain.
And it's me who has 'gone through all this programming'.
All you need to do to get this functionality is doing some simple copy/pasting and checking boxes as shown in the screenshots.

Or don't, and just accept the standard results that Picard will give you when simply checking 'use genres from MusicBrainz' and doing nothing else.
I guess many are/have been happy with what that results in too.

HBY14

Afternoon. Could I ask what I am doing wrong please? Have read the first and second posts a couple of times, loaded the script, ticked (I think) all the right options. When I come to run the script, the genre still doesn't populate. Used Wire as a fairly simple, to me, example of what it should be (Post-punk).

hiccup

When I come to run the script, the genre still doesn't populate. Used Wire as a fairly simple, to me, example of what it should be (Post-punk).
Welcome to the forum HBY14

This is what I get for that release:

Is Picard showing you no genre at all?
In that case my best suggestion would be to look again at the screenshots in the start-post, and compare them with your settings, eagle-eyed.
Those settings should (still) work.

HBY14

When I come to run the script, the genre still doesn't populate. Used Wire as a fairly simple, to me, example of what it should be (Post-punk).
Welcome to the forum HBY14

This is what I get for that release:

Is Picard showing you no genre at all?
In that case my best suggestion would be to look again at the screenshots in the start-post, and compare them with your settings, eagle-eyed.
Those settings should (still) work.

Thanks for the reply hiccup. Nay, no genre at all. Shall get my fine toothcomb out and have another look.

EDIT: Nothing a good reset to default won't sort. Noticed I'd not changed the values in the first screenshot, still didn't work. So decided to reset Picard and just go with your post step-by-step again. Much obliged, friend.
Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 05:39:22 PM by HBY14