Author Topic: How to retrieve good quality genre tags using Picard  (Read 9858 times)


hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6350
updated

- I noticed that at some point in time I must unintentionally have removed a part of the script that could write the 'period' for classical music, so I have put that back.
 (it only does something if you are using Picard's Classical Extras plugin)
 
Also:  (@ Mr. Trev !)

-I updated post #2 that has the explanation on how to make it so that the script writes new genres to another tag (of your choice), and not to the 'genre' tag, so that your original genre tags will be left untouched.
Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 06:05:40 PM by hiccup

SanPe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Hey!

I'm kind of new to picard and came to it only because of your post. But, somehow I don't get it.
I set it up exactly like you explained on the original post. I used the scripts from the 15th of October on your dropbox, and somehow, it just doesn't work.
Picard don't seem to download genres and don't add it to the files. My latest attempt:



If i go to the settings, in genre, Pop/Rock is not allowed. But still Picard don't seem to see the issue. If I delete the tag and add the files again, Picard don't download the genre either.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks!

hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6350
Welcome to the forum SanPe.

So you have set Picard's preference pages exactly like my screenshots?
e.g.

Options > Metadata > Genres >
 'Use genres from MusicBrainz' is ticked

Options > Tags >
genre is not accidentally listed in the 'Preserve these tags from being cleared or overwritten…' panel?

You don't have a script running that unsets genre?

edit:
What I get:


(it ignores tags under 'autres tags' that are not considered to be widely acknowledged valid genre names)
Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 09:46:11 AM by hiccup

SanPe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Well, I have...
Here are my conf screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/KGRP9ND
You'll find here my picard.ini conf: https://gist.github.com/pedrom34/c85cabb299807935dc943f0b5beac771

I don't really understand... I really think it's an obvious thing I don't see :-X

hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6350
You'll find here my picard.ini conf: https://gist.github.com/pedrom34/c85cabb299807935dc943f0b5beac771
Thanks, that was useful.
You have $unset(genre) in your 'Unset' script.
Remove that entry and it should work.

edit
Hm, I see it somehow appeared in the script I made available myself?
That's a mistake on my part.
I'm sorry for that, I'll correct it later today.
Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 11:41:48 AM by hiccup

SanPe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
That was so simple!
Thanks a lot for your time and your turorial, that's gonna be really helpful for me  ::)

hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6350
There was a dumb mistake in script #2 (the 'unset' script)
That's corrected now, the download link is the same.

SanPe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
I am sorry hiccup, I have another question about your tutorial.
How do you manage to get your genres written in capitalized case? I mean, I see on your screenshot that every genre are capitalized "Alternative rock; Blues rock..." when I get "Alternative rock; blues rock".

Is it something I have to set in Picard or in Musicbee, or is it in your scripts? I took a look at all the options and didn't find what I was looking for...

Thanks!

hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6350
Is it something I have to set in Picard or in Musicbee, or is it in your scripts? I took a look at all the options and didn't find what I was looking for...
It's script #1 that will do that.
Did you perhaps modify the script?

SanPe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
It's script #1 that will do that.
Did you perhaps modify the script?
I didn't change, no... I have this for the case, copied and pasted from yours:
Code
$setmulti(_genre,$lower(%genre%))
$setmulti(_genre,$map(%_genre%,$upper($substr(%_loop_value%,0,1))$substr(%_loop_value%,1,)))


Edit:
Never mind, adding a paragraph between the two lines above and  the rest of the script just like you did on the screen shot in the OP solved the issue :)
Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 10:00:03 PM by SanPe

hiccup

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6350
Never mind, adding a paragraph between the two lines above and  the rest of the script just like you did on the screen shot in the OP solved the issue :)
Good that you solved it, but the paragraph (blank line) by itself can't have been the cause, since paragraphs don't have any function in these scripts.
I am guessing something must have gone wrong with copying and pasting the script.

When I test the downloaded script and paste it into Picard it works just fine as it is. Without adding any paragraphs.

SanPe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
Yes, you are right. I must have done something else when adding a new blank line that corrected something else that I did before, since it working now without the paragraph thing.

Sorry for that!
Thanks anyway 👍