Author Topic: MusicBee now works under wine  (Read 84630 times)

Rotom

the .NET Core on Linux is different from the .NET framework being used by Windows and WINE, if I recall. And while possible, if Steven wanted to port everything to a cross-platform UI framework, it would take a lot of his time when he could just be perfecting the player as is. I would love for a Linux-native, feature-rich client like MusicBee, hell if I had the expertise I'd do it myself.

One can still dream, but if anything it might be worth more your time sending some bug reports to the WINE developers, to fix the bugs present when running MusicBee in there. The thing with open-source (and also one-man projects like MusicBee) is that you can basically talk to a human to get something fixed, almost immediately. A recent example is that drag and drop issues on MusicBee seem to be getting/gotten fixed in the latest staging builds of WINE - so I'd say, focus on reporting bugs to WINE rather than nagging Steven to port MusicBee to cross-platform.

Rathori

If you're having issues running MusicBee on linux in WINE, what helped me is using Bottles instead, with dotnet40 dotnet48. I also installed allfonts to make Japanese and other non-unicode characters display properly.

Now the only issue that remains is that media keys on my keyboard don't work, but that's just something that WINE cannot do as far as some quick googling suggests.

FurryFennec

Registered here to simply say THANK YOU as I've now got MusicBee running fine on Linux Mint 21.3 using this as a template. Installed winehq-stable from official Wine repo and winetricks from the Winetricks Github.

In case this is useful for anyone trying to get it working on arch this is what i've done:

Code
# Setup directories and setup wine
mkdir ~/.musicbee
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/yeti/.musicbee winecfg
WINEPREFIX=/home/yeti/.musicbee winetricks -q dotnet48 xmllite gdiplus

# Download latest musicbee.exe and install
WINEPREFIX=/home/yeti/.musicbee wine MusicBeeSetup_3_3.exe

# Setup font rendering to anti-aliasing to make it look smooth (paste till /dev/null)
cat << EOF > /tmp/fontsmoothing
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingOrientation"=dword:00000001
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002
"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:00000578
EOF

WINE=${WINE:-wine} WINEPREFIX=${WINEPREFIX:-$HOME/.musicbee} $WINE regedit /tmp/fontsmoothing 2> /dev/null

~ % wine --version                                                                          
wine-7.20

~ % dotnet --version

winetricks --version                              

edhorch

In case this is useful for anyone trying to get it working on arch this is what i've done:

Code
# Setup directories and setup wine
mkdir ~/.musicbee
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/yeti/.musicbee winecfg
WINEPREFIX=/home/yeti/.musicbee winetricks -q dotnet48 xmllite gdiplus

# Download latest musicbee.exe and install
WINEPREFIX=/home/yeti/.musicbee wine MusicBeeSetup_3_3.exe

# Setup font rendering to anti-aliasing to make it look smooth (paste till /dev/null)
cat << EOF > /tmp/fontsmoothing
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingOrientation"=dword:00000001
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002
"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:00000578
EOF

WINE=${WINE:-wine} WINEPREFIX=${WINEPREFIX:-$HOME/.musicbee} $WINE regedit /tmp/fontsmoothing 2> /dev/null

~ % wine --version                                                                          
wine-7.20

~ % dotnet --version

winetricks --version                              

Worked for me:

Hardware: Dell XPS 8700 (2014); Core i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel C220 audio chipset
Wine: 9.0
Winetricks: 20230212-next
MusicBee: 3.5.8447

The only weird thing was that the Winetricks install hung, but it doesn't seem to have affected MusicBee.

THANKS!

Rotom

Anyone know how to fix the performance issues on MusicBee? Mine gets awfully sluggish when scrolling...