Author Topic: Enable subgenre?  (Read 645 times)

siper

Hi there,
I just implemented the ENHANCED GENRE HIERARCHY LIST but I have no idea how to enable the 'subgenre' feature. I changed 'Custom1' to 'subgenre', but how the heck do I use it? Is is supposed to show up in the Edit Tag popup underneath the Genre field? Or is it simply another value to add to the Genre field?

Second question: once it's enabled, how can I import subgenres from MusicBrainz/Discogs (I have this plugin already)?

hiccup

…but I have no idea how to enable the 'subgenre' feature. I changed 'Custom1' to 'subgenre', but how the heck do I use it? Is is supposed to show up in the Edit Tag popup underneath the Genre field? Or is it simply another value to add to the Genre field?
In the Tag Editor panel it will show up under Tags (2).
MusicBee itself will treat it just like any other tag since by itself it has no understanding of the concept of 'subgenre'.

To have it more easily available you could configure it to display it in the Vertical Tag Editor.
I am pretty sure the further workings are quite well explained in the Enhanced Genre Hierarchy topic.
Including screenshots.

Second question: once it's enabled, how can I import subgenres from MusicBrainz/Discogs (I have this plugin already)?

I myself am not using MusicBee's own genre retrieval, nor Discogs, but I am pretty sure this can't be done using MusicBee.
It should be doable using MusicBrainz' Picard. But it will take some effort and scripting to achieve and get good results.

(by some coincidence, later today I intend to post a pretty extensive Tip&Tricks on retrieving and writing genres using Picard.
It won't answer your specific questions, but it will have content that should be helpful to get a better understanding of things.)