Author Topic: Analyzed WMA files Show as "Not Calculated" Until Rescanned.  (Read 959 times)

Jaslan

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 21
I am not sure if this is technically a bug, as it may be the intended function, but it does seem to be inconsistent with the process with MP3 files.

Reproduction...
Select some .WMA files and use "Analyze Volume" and wait for the process to complete.
Check the tags and they should say "Not Calculated"  NOTE" that replay gain is ALSO NOT APPLIED to playback of the files.
Select the analyzed files and "Send To" "Rescan".
Files tags should now show the correct replay gain values and will be applied to the replay volume.

For me, the process works fine with MP3 files (meaning the replay gain shows in the tags and is applied upon finishing the volume analysis, without rescan),  just not with WMA files.  I tried several different WMA files with varying bitrates, etc., with the same result.  I tried closing and reopening Musicbee, removing the files from the library and adding them back.  The only thing that seems to "wake UP" the replay gain values is a rescan or something that triggers a rescan such as moving the file, etc.

Workaround is fairly simple.  After Volume Analysis, select the files and "send to" "rescan".

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 32914
I am not able to reproduce this issue. There is no special treatment for WMA files compared to other formats and I have no ideas what the issue might be. It sounds like you have a workaround and I will leave it unsolved

Jaslan

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 21
I used to rip to WMA and have at least 100 albums still in WMA format that I can't re-rip (CDs lost) but a few years ago I switched to MP3 and re-ripped the CD's I do still have.  So now that I have figured out why my WMA files weren't getting the gain tags and rectified it in my library it shouldn't be a problem but it does still have me curious.  I even tried re-ripping a CD as WMA and got the same result.
I am perfectly happy to leave it alone....  But, if you want me to send a file that I have the problem with or send a settings file, I am happy to help.

I would also like to mention I am a new user to Musicbee (but not new to media and media players, in general).  I spent the last week learning and setting up Musicbee and using it to better organize my library.  I can't believe I was trudging along with WMP for (it feels like twenty YEARS?? not really sure).  The built in TAG editing capabilities make a world of difference.  I did make a donation and will continue to support Musicbee.  I am REALLY impressed and happy for finding it.
Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 12:18:33 AM by Jaslan

sveakul

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1907
It's my shaky understanding that if Windows Media Player is installed/active, it maintains some kind of invisible hooks into WMA files (I did use the word "shaky").  Try turning it "off" in Windows Features/Media Features and see if the behavior you reported within MusicBee persists.  Easy enough to add back if it doesn't have an effect.


Jaslan

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 21
I am on Windows 11 and under System - Apps - Optional Features, I uninstalled Windows Media Player (been meaning to do that to keep it from screwing up my last week's work organizing and fixing album art) and it didn't change the result.

It is worth noting that when I remove the volume analysis from the files, the tags update immediately and don't require any rescan. 

It does remind me of another problem I was having with the library backup being unable to modify the hidden, system attributed folder.jpg files that WMP was creating.  I will post a separate thread about that mainly to help someone else who has that problem.