Author Topic: Is there a way to make the playlist "recently added" dates more precise?  (Read 2008 times)

doobydiper

Hey everyone. I was wondering if it was possible to have the playlist tab's "recently added" show more precise dates? Specifically, list all playlist created each day. So, instead of grouping a bunch of them under "6 months ago" or "last month" they'd instead be separated by "01/12, 06/09, 08/20 etc." Thanks for any help!

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Welcome to the forum doobydiper. Try doing the following:

1. Set "Group By" to Date Added.
2. Set "Sort By" to Date Added (Desc).
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

doobydiper

Hello! I already have it set up this way, but it only groups them by increments of 'Today', 'Yesterday', but after that they all get filed under 'Last month'. I was hoping to keep them separated by the day each was added instead. I appreciate the reply though!

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
What you're describing is the behavior of the Date Added (Album) field in the 'Album Covers' view.
Switch to the 'Tracks' view and then group the playlist by Date Added. After that, you can then go back to using the 'Album Covers' view.

doobydiper

Ahhhh, I see now. Pretty nice! Is there anyway to keep them sorted like that but in 'album icon' form, rather than listed by track? I have audiobooks and some of them are dozens of tracks long lol >_<

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Is there anyway to keep them sorted like that but in 'album icon' form, rather than listed by track?
...After that, you can then go back to using the 'Album Covers' view.
Isn't that the view (Album Covers) you were using before we began this discussion?

doobydiper

Yeah, my library is only audiobooks so I want to view their covers just not the tracks. I like the sorting for the 'tracks' option though (thanks for letting me know about it), I just need that for the 'album' format viewing as well (though not necessarily by hour/minute if possible). Basically in the same way that an ipad groups pictures; by the day all were created

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
To exclude 'time' from the grouping, you could use a virtual tag that strips off time from the date added field.
So that could be something like $Date($Left(<Date Added>,9),dd/MMM/yy).

To add Virtual tags, go to Preferences -> Tags(1) -> Under Custom Tags...Define New Tags
After adding it, group the playlist using that virtual tag.

Concerning the view, I think besides the album covers view, there's nothing closer to what you're describing. Just to confirm, you're not satisfied with this display?

doobydiper

Omg its almost perfect! The only thing is that it organizes them with "Dec 01" at the top rather than "Dec 16" (the date of my last added playlist). Like, it seems it starts from the first of the month and the rest of the days follow from there. Trying to sort them by date added descending only moves the albums around in their respective days. Is there a way to move the last day of the month to the top instead? If not this was all still a big help and I appreciate you taking the time to talk me through it! :D

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Hmm...there seems to be something wrong with the sorting now.

When a playlist is grouped by a (date) virtual tag in the Album Covers view, the sorting isn't giving expected results.
It's no longer taking the month and year into consideration. Can somebody else please confirm this?

If not this was all still a big help and I appreciate you taking the time to talk me through it! :D
Happy to help :-)

doobydiper

Okay so I was tinkering with the formula a bit (keep in mind idk what I'm doing) and by using this;
$Date(<Date Added>,MM-dd-yyyy)
I was able to get it pretty close to what i want. It's now in the correct order BUT sadly it's only sorted from first ever added playlist to most recent playlist. So, the most recent playlists are at the bottom and I don't know how to fix that :c. If anyone knows what I can add to the formula to fix this please let me know!

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
@doobydiper...use this virtual tag instead. I think it should work. Got the idea from @Hiccup's solution here. I'm not even sure why that works.
Code
$Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Date($Left(<Date Added>,9),dd/MMM/yy),9,​​​​​​​​​​9),8,​​​​​​​​​8),7,​​​​​​​​7),6,​​​​​​​6),5,​​​​​​5),4,​​​​​4),3,​​​​3),2,​​​2),1,​​1),0,​0)
Edit:
This will not work well if the virtual tag (VT) is still a string.
So for the VT that you assign the above formula to...go to Preferences -> Tags(2) -> under Tag Handling...configure fields.
Look for the VT and change its type from 'string' to 'date'.
Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 09:35:30 PM by Mayibongwe

doobydiper

YEEEEESS!! It works! For some weird reason it reads "2021" as "0202" on mine, but by using;
$Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Date(<Date Added>,MM-dd-yyyy),9,​​​​​​​​​​9),8,​​​​​​​​​8),7,​​​​​​​​7),6,​​​​​​​6),5,​​​​​​5),4,​​​​​4),3,​​​​3),2,​​​2),1,​​1),0,​0)
it fixes that issue. Thanks so much!!!!  :D  :D  :D

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World

hiccup

...use this virtual tag instead. I think it should work. Got the idea from @Hiccup's solution here…
I'm not even sure why that works.
Haha, it's using invisible magic.

Well, more 'invisible' than 'magic'.
It prepends an amount of zero-width spaces to the digits. The higher the number, the more zero-width spaces.
If you would imagine using zero's instead of them, it does something like::

1 becomes 001
2 becomes 0002
3 becomes 00003

Then, if you sort that ascending, you get:

instead of

But since zero-width spaces are invisible, you won't notice what is happening.

For some weird reason it reads "2021" as "0202" on mine…
There was a logical mistake in the formula I posted earlier.
This one should fix that:

Code
$Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Date($Split(<Date Added>," ",1),dd/MMM/yy),9,​​​​​​​​​​9),8,​​​​​​​​​8),7,​​​​​​​​7),6,​​​​​​​6),5,​​​​​​5),4,​​​​​4),3,​​​​3),2,​​​2),1,​​1),0,​0)

edit:
I now see the formula posted earlier in this thread was not a carbon copy of the one that I posted earlier elsewhere, but it's a new one created specifically for this purpose by Mayibongwe, only using a part of mine.

edit II:
I now also see doobydiper solved that issue himself already.

Can somebody suggest a good course for learning how to read please?
Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 05:19:24 PM by hiccup