Author Topic: Podcast Issues  (Read 1651 times)

fallynnknivez

So i've moved to musicbee from mediamonkey (to have better single file flac support), and am starting to get frustrated. decided to ask for help, since my searching is coming up with unresolved forum chains.

I set everything up, and made sure i deleted my old podcasts and just had MB redownload all my subscriptions to try and avoid issues. everything was working fine, music under music, podcasts subscribed and downloading, under podcasts. Now, i havent listened to any podcasts in a while, but today, i went to put one on, and they are gone. zero podcasts under podcasts in MB. They are all still in the folder i had them in (i have music, audiobooks and podcasts organized into different folders). Also, i opened the "subscriptions.dat" file in my podcast directory, and all the podcasts still seem to be in that file.

It appears, my podcasts are now listed under 'Music' in MB (tho i have been unable to locate them there on my actual hard drive. The reorganize field under preferences>library is setup to a sub directory of my music folder. Any attempt to change this back to where my podcasts are, results in "completed with errors" message "2021-12-23 10:16:51 AM - 10.0.19043.0 - 3.4.7805.33439D - System.IO.IOException: The file exists." I dont know what file it thinks its moving, cus there is nothing in that subdirectory, other then ANOTHER subscriptions.dat file.

Its almost like it has just merged my podcasts into my music sections on MB, not on the hard drives, just in the music section of MB and emptied the podcast section. I can only imagine this means MB is NOT maintaining episodes (and if it was, would download to my music folder), and will shuffle to a podcast if i set music to shuffle.

Running MB v3.4.7805. any help with this would be most appreciated. this headache is verging on deal breaker for me.

frankz

Select them all -> Right Click -> Send To -> Podcasts

fallynnknivez

right, i get that, but why did it happen in the first place? am i going to have to go through my music once a month (roughly how long it was working before this happened), and send all the podcasts back to the podcasts section?  This would be a pain, as they are never labeled correctly, and i basically have to go through 2tb of music, and determine what "album artists" are actually podcasts. Not something i want to do every month.

edit: typo
Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 10:05:33 PM by fallynnknivez

phred

• Global Moderator
Hmmm ... I thought I posted something just before frankz did, but I don't see it.

In MB, right-click on one of the subscriptions > Edit. Is "override default folder for downloaded podcast files" enabled? If so, are the files going there?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

frankz

right, i get that, but why did it happen in the first place?
Unfortunately, no one here has a way to know with certainty what you did to cause this.

am i going to have to go through my music once a month (roughly how long it was working before this happened), and send all the podcasts back to the podcasts section?  This would be a pain, as they are never labeled correctly, and i basically have to go through 2tb of music, and determine what "album artists" are actually podcasts. Not something i want to do every month.
Obviously this doesn't happen on the regular or we'd all be going through our music and sending the podcasts back to where they started.  You'll want to think back over the month and consider what you may have done to send these podcasts to your your music library.  The only thing I can think of is that you moved the files into the folder where you told MB to look for new files and automatically add them to your library, but that's just a theory.

fallynnknivez

about the only thing i saw mentioned when searching, would be a power outage a week or so back, but that was referencing the corruption of the subscriptions.dat, which i cant see being the cause of this. i dont have automatic monitoring on, and any organization is done manually after i add something new and edit its meta data. Other then messing with the layout, once i set it up i left it as is just to see if i wanted to stay with it, before digging in too deep.

okay tho, thank you. Ill go back through and send em all back/resub/whatever and see what happens.

phred

• Global Moderator
Have you done what I suggested in reply number three?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

fallynnknivez

Hmmm ... I thought I posted something just before frankz did, but I don't see it.

In MB, right-click on one of the subscriptions > Edit. Is "override default folder for downloaded podcast files" enabled? If so, are the files going there?

Have you done what I suggested in reply number three?

Im not seeing an "override" option when i right click and hit edit. i do see a 'location' under the properties tab of edit, and that is set to the correct location, and they are, in fact, there, but they havent been moved from the hd location, they are just no longer under "podcasts" in MB, and instead are under music, listed by the random "album artist" names each episode has, so going through and moving them is not something i have done yet.

i did move a few, mainly to see if they are going to do the same thing in a week or two. im not into the idea of doing all the work, if its just going to happen again. Am thinking the best course of action is going to be to move them, until MB says "they're not there anymore, want us to remove em?" and then ill move em back, and drag and drop em back into podcasts and re-set up the subscription and podcast specific settings.
Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 07:26:18 AM by fallynnknivez