Author Topic: Copy Files to Organized Folder question  (Read 7287 times)

Gendji

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to keep the directory structure (path) intact when using this option.

An example of my directory structure is: C:\Music\P\Pearl Jam\Lost Dogs CD1\16 - Yellow Ledbetter.flac.

When using this copy function for single files, i want to keep the \Music\P\ including the backslashes but i haven't been successful in doing so.

I used the search function ofc but didn't find an answer. I tried using <Path> but that results in a directory name like: Music P Pearl Jam Lost Dogs CD1, without the backslashes.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Zak

• Global Moderator
Not entirely sure what you mean, but for albums you'd use a naming template like:

c:\music\<grouping(<album artist>,1)\<album artist>\<album> <disc#>\<track#> - <title>

If you want single files under the letter only, use:

c:\music\<grouping(<album artist>,1)\<album artist> - <title>

I think that's right. I don't have MB now to check.
Bee excellent to each other...

Gendji

I want to copy single files from a playlist to a different location but keep the directory structure (path) intact.

So for example C:\Music\P\Pearl Jam\Lost Dogs CD1\16 - Yellow Ledbetter.flac to D:\Music\P\Pearl Jam\Lost Dogs CD1\16 - Yellow Ledbetter.flac

I tried $Group(<album artist> but that changes the path based on the Album Artist name. That doesn't work with for example Soundtracks with Various Artists.

redwing

Then use this instead, which will use artist only when album artist is various artists:

D:\Music\$Group($If(<Album Artist>="Various Artists", <Artist>,<Album Artist>),1)\$If(<Album Artist>="Various Artists", <Artist>,<Album Artist>)\<album> <disc#>\<track#> - <title>

For more details, consult the following how-to thread: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=10980.0

Gendji

That doesn't work either somehow, it changes the path in D:\Music\0-9\Artist Name\etc.

I already read that thread which has a lot of information indeed, but i didn't find a solution.

I was wondering if there is some option for the <path> tag, that keeps the path as it is but i couldn't find that either.

redwing

Then use this:

Copy files to folder: D:\

File naming Template: $Replace($Replace(<URL>,$Left(<URL>,3),),.<.Ext>,)

Wait a minute, this is not working either....
Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:00:34 AM by redwing

Gendji

Almost but the backslashes are gone then, so instead of \Music\P\Pearl Jam\Lost Dogs CD1\16 - Yellow Ledbetter.flac it becomes Music P Pearl Jam Lost Dogs CD1 16 - Yellow Ledbetter.flac.

It also changes every L into a D.

redwing

Gendji

That looks very good but how do i get the backslashes to show instead of spaces?

redwing

It's much more difficult than I thought. To escape backslash, click on filename character mapping box and put "+"(without quote) next to backslash. Then use this:

Copy files to folder: D:\

File naming Template: $Replace($Replace(<Path>,+,\),$Left(<Path>),2),)$Replace(<Filename>,<.Ext>,)

Gendji

Amazing that's it, it works like a charm :)

I wouldn't have found the solution in this lifetime :D

Thank you very very much for all your help.

redwing

Glad it worked!

Other users might know a simpler solution. I will also look into it further, and if I find any way to improve it, will post it either on this thread or the how-to thread about virtual tags.

redwing

@Steven:

When <URL> or <Path> is used for file naming template, should it not remove every backslash from the corresponding string? Since backslash is the only character that is allowed to use for the template among those forbidden characters, using a character mapping setting and a conversion formula like "$Replace(<Path>,+,\)" seems a redundant and unnecessary step.

If it has to, then consider allowing use of backslash for character mapping setting so that people could replace backslash with backslash. The current converting solution does not always work if a path contains any of the temporarily replaced character.
Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:28:26 PM by redwing

imminiman

• Music is my life, 'cause my life is music.
@Steven:

When <URL> or <Path> is used for file naming template, should it not remove every backslash from the corresponding string? Since backslash is the only character that is allowed to use for the template among those forbidden characters, using a character mapping setting and a conversion formula like "$Replace(<Path>,+,\)" seems a redundant and unnecessary step.

If it has to, then consider allowing use of backslash for character mapping setting so that people could replace backslash with backslash. The current converting solution does not always work if a path contains any of the temporarily replaced character.
+1