Author Topic: Custom Web Links  (Read 3860 times)

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
When I was using one of my custom web links today...I noticed that it does not work for titles containing "feat." (the full stop is the culprit)
To accommodate such titles, I replaced <title> with a virtual tag that removes the featured artists.

I myself rarely use the web links that come bundled with MB (Wikipedia, Last.fm, YouTube & Song Facts)
But having noticed that "Song Facts" also leads to an error page when the title contains "feat.", I thought a report here would do and maybe an accommodation would be made for this link too.

Also not a pressing issue but I feel that ...youtube.com/results?search_query=<title>+<artist> would be preferred by most as opposed to just <artist> which I believe is currently used by MB.
Favourite tune at the moment:   Dearly Beloved by Yoko Shimomura from the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack

hiccup

I myself rarely use the web links that come bundled with MB (Wikipedia, Last.fm, YouTube & Song Facts)
Hm, strange, when I check a clean portable install I now only see Wikipedia being available by default.
Maybe the others were stripped at some time? I'm not sure.

Could you share the code you have for Song Facts?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
The web links that come bundled with MB (Wikipedia, Last.fm, YouTube & Song Facts)
I actually now think that, that statement is an incorrect conclusion.
I figured since I couldn't see/edit those here, then they must have came along with MB.
I actually can't recall very well. Maybe I did insert those 3 web links when I first installed MB. But for some reason, they are not displaying along with the others now.

But anyway, here's the thing for song facts: https://www.songfacts.com/search/songs/<title>
Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 06:03:12 PM by Mayibongwe
Favourite tune at the moment:   Dearly Beloved by Yoko Shimomura from the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack

hiccup

But anyway, here's the thing for song facts: https://www.songfacts.com/search/songs/<title>
I believe there is no consensus on if a title should ever contain 'featuring' or not.
Do you know if Songfacts has any titles in their database that have such titles?

A solution here could be to create a virtual tag that strips any ft. feat. featuring stuff (which will need some regex), and use that virtual tag instead of <Title>?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
A solution here could be to create a virtual tag that strips any ft. feat. featuring stuff (which will need some regex), and use that virtual tag instead of <Title>?
That's what I had done for Megalobiz, which was the web link I mentioned at the start of my first post.
So having noticed that and also believing that Last.fm, YouTube and Song Facts were default web links (which seems not to be the case), I had decided to create a topic for it here.

hiccup

Ah, ok.
So you were able to fix Songfacts now too?

edit:
It looks like you are right about the '.' (dot/full stop)
I found a song on Songfacts which has 'feat.', and indeed after removing the '.' the weblink works fine.
So your virtual tag would only need to remove the dots and can leave the featured artists intact.
Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 06:28:59 PM by hiccup

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Yeah I did. Actually no because I can't see it in preferences.
And no, I don't think Songfacts has any titles with feat. or ft. in their database.

On your side, does the default Wikipedia web link show up in preferences? I'm now confused as to why those 4 show up elsewhere but not in preferences...
Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 06:37:25 PM by Mayibongwe

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Hey man. Sorry for mixing my things up. Let me state things again.

Refer to the screenshot I posted in this thread and you will notice that I do not have (wiki, YT, Last.fm and Song Facts) in preferences > internet.
But for some reason, they are showing up in MB (in the main library tab and the Now Playing Tab)? Any idea what's up there?

hiccup

Nope, I am a bit confused on this too.
I am sure there have always been several default weblinks included. (maybe six, or eight, I'm not sure.)
But as I said, on a clean portable install I now only see one. (Wikipedia)
I'm not sure why that is.

edit:
Mayby I am making things more confusing, and most of the confusion is in my own head.
I was thinking that in this panel there used to be more than one link by default.
Maybe I am simply mistaken.

I'd better stop responding to this thread since I get the feeling that I am not helping but are making things more confusing.
Sorry for that. ;-)
Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 06:51:19 PM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
@Mayibongwe-

In order for the weblinks to appear once created/configured, you must enable them in Track Information settings. Which is the screenshot in hiccup's post immediately before this one.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World

So this is where we are. Every link in that first image is accounted for except Last.fm, YouTube and Song Facts.
So Hiccup was right when he said that only Wikipedia is available as the default web link.

The mix up began when I assumed that those 3 were also default web links since like Wiki, they didn't show up in preferences > internet.
What's a mystery is how those three are still appearing amongst others despite not being listed anywhere in preferences or track information.
I can't confirm (as I don't remember) whether or not at some point, I added those to my custom web links.

hiccup

It looks like this has revealed a bug.
On a clean install they do indeed show on a right click on the Track Information panel, but they don't show in the configuration panel:

(not that this will solve the problem that made you create this thread…)

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
So that explains what led to the confusion in this thread.
In that case, shouldn't this be moved to the bugs section? It may miss out on the fixes if it just remains here.
I will create another topic here, addressing my initial concerns after this gets moved.

Steven

• Administrator
Its not a bug. Those links are only supported in the right click context menu