Author Topic: File Library Open does nothing?  (Read 1772 times)

ParagonOpus1

Had to reset windows. Now, after I reinstalled MusicBee, when I go to File/Library/Open, there is nothing to open? How do you load a saved libary?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
The "saved library" that you want to open, where in your pc is it located? What folder or directory is it at?

When you find it, hold down "shift" during the MusicBee startup process. You'll be prompted to select a library.
Click "create new" and then at the bottom of the pop up, there's an option that allows you to select an existing library.
Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 01:52:09 AM by Mayibongwe
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore

ParagonOpus1

Ok, I held down shift before clicking the Music Bee icon and it did bring up choose which library, but there was no library to choose from. I must have deleted that when I reinstalled windows, maybe.

Long ago, I moved everything off my system drive as windows likes to eat itself alive and I find myself reinstalling windows every 2 or so years, so it became difficult keeping my large documents files backed up, etc., so I run 8 drives on my system with one drive dedicated to my music collection. I was hoping Music Bee would store it's info on that drive, yet it does not, unless I install it there as the portable option, which I don't like because then that folder bumps into my dedicated folders (classical music collection, very large very complex). So, I thought I had backed up the library, but apparently not.

So, is the portable version the only version I can use that will essentially allow me to leave my collection alone on a drive that never gets touched by windows?

ParagonOpus1

Well, let me modify my question. I did a rescan when I reinstalled Music Bee and it brought in my library mostly unabated - meaning, I have done massive tag alterations, etc., to get things to sort correctly for classical music, etc. (very tedious being that it seems most programs of these sorts have a penchant to defaulting towards the pop music genre) and after the rescan, and some messing with sorting, I managed to get my library mostly back to where it was.

SO, as long as my metatags are good, the library mostly stays intact. What I want is to save all the formating of the UI, etc., so that its always the same. Thought this would be the library  back up, is there another way to do this?

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
Hello ParagonOpus1

I will reply to all of that in detail later on...for now, I'll address the issue at hand.
The one thing you want to know right now is how to backup your MB as is right? (preserving layouts, settings, sortings and the likes)

As you already know, the portable version is the best way to go about it, since all you have to do is copy/backup one MB folder to wherever you want.
And your only objection to the portable edition is due to it "bumping into your dedicated music folders" in your drive. What exactly does that mean?
What's wrong with having only two parent folders on your drive? (one being MusicBee and the other being Music Files which contains all your classical music collection)

If I've understood why you feel you would someday have to re-install MB, it will only be because you have to reset your windows right?
With a portable edition where all your MB files reside in "X:\MusicBee", you won't have to lose your installation whenever you decide to reset windows.

The only reason relating to why you would ever have to backup "X:\MusicBee" would be:
-To prepare for unforeseen circumstances where you find changes that you did not make (or ones you accidentally made) and can't reverse being made to the folder.
Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 02:26:17 AM by Mayibongwe
Favourite song at the moment:   Decode by Paramore