Author Topic: Latest upgrade wiped my customizations out, how to restore?  (Read 1569 times)

LeftHandy13

When I updated to the latest version all my customizations were wiped out. I created a back up last change I made to the settings environment but now can not seem to locate it? What am I doing wrong here? Is there an easy way to restore old settings?
Thanks in advance!
Regards: Left.

phred

• Global Moderator
When I updated to the latest version all my customizations were wiped out. I created a back up last change I made to the settings environment but now can not seem to locate it? What am I doing wrong here? Is there an easy way to restore old settings?
What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
How did you create the backup? (Using MB? Using a file manager?)
What exactly do you mean by "customizations"? The skin you were using? The panel arrangement you were using? The settings you were using?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Steven

• Administrator
are you sure you didnt just install the portable version in a different location?  Updating the software doesnt touch the existing saved settings files

LeftHandy13

What version of MB are you using? (Help > About)
How was MB installed? (Store, Installer, Portable)
How did you create the backup? (Using MB? Using a file manager?)
What exactly do you mean by "customizations"? The skin you were using? The panel arrangement you were using? The settings you were using?
Version 3.4.7805
Installer
Using MB
Skin, panel arrangement and settings... ie. database locations, rip settings, libraries, as well as field renaming.
Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 09:51:06 PM by LeftHandy13

LeftHandy13

are you sure you didnt just install the portable version in a different location?  Updating the software doesnt touch the existing saved settings files
It was a clean install, for whatever reason it would not let me "upgrade" without uninstalling the old version.

phred

• Global Moderator
It was a clean install, for whatever reason it would not let me "upgrade" without uninstalling the old version.
MB doesn't do that. Installer or Portable can be upgraded directly over existing installations and your configuration is maintained.

If you can find where you saved the backup, you might be able to recover. But if it's a new installation, with no backup available, there is nothing to recover and you need to start all over again.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

LeftHandy13

So how is the back up labeled? normally an .bak, or .ini . msi?

phred

• Global Moderator
So how is the back up labeled? normally an .bak, or .ini . msi?
If you created a settings snapshot (backup) via Edit > Saved Settings > [save] [load] Settings Snapshot, you should be looking for a file named Settings (date).ini and it should be in your MB directory under AppData > Saved Settings > Application.

If you created a layout backup via View > Import/Export > [Export] [Import] Panel Arrangement, you should be looking for a file named with an extension of .layout, and it should be in your MB directory under AppData > Saved Settings > Layouts.

If you created library backups using File > Library > Backup Library the files can be found wherever you saved them when you created the backup. This backup makes copies of the actual files would consist of files named as they are in the MB install directory.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki