Author Topic: Can't change sort order of the left panel browser (Year Asc/Desc greyed out?)  (Read 2560 times)

beer_fish

Hi all,

First post, but I'm a longtime user of Musicbee. Despite this, I still feel like I'm learning something new or discovering a feature/realizing a new efficiency every day. I wanted to thank all the regulars who help out on forum posts, as many of you have unknowingly helped me out a ton!

My question has to do with sorting the thumbnail browser on the left-hand side. One of my tabs ("Year") is meant to display all albums released during a given year, but by default it's set to Sort By "Name." This results in chronological year order (1950-2021), but I'd prefer the list begin with 2021 and descend from there.

However, as you can see from this screenshot, I'm unable to sort the left panel list [a] by Year (Asc) or Year (Desc), as the options are greyed out [b]:

Does anyone have an idea how I could fix this and sort the list from the most current year to the oldest? Thanks!
Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 08:56:57 PM by beer_fish

hiccup

Option 1:

You could use the Column Browser instead of the Thumbnail Browser for this.
If you configure it to display vertically, only showing the 'Year' column, it will function the same, and then you can select ascending/descending.
You can save a custom layout for that tab, so for other tabs you can have different configurations for the Column Browser.

Option 2:

If you prefer using the Thumbnail Browser, here is a virtual tag that I think should work if you use it instead of 'Year':

Code
$Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace(<Year (yyyy)>,9,​​​​​​​​​​9),8,​​​​​​​​​8),7,​​​​​​​​7),6,​​​​​​​6),5,​​​​​​5),4,​​​​​4),3,​​​​3),2,​​​2),1,​​1),0,​0)
(this one may not work with all fonts, I am not sure)
Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 01:10:08 PM by hiccup

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
However, as you can see from this screenshot, I'm unable to sort the left panel list [a] by Year (Asc) or Year (Desc), as the options are greyed out [b]:
But if you select Group By> YYYY, it's sorted in Desc. order.
Strange indeed.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

beer_fish

Option 2:

If you prefer using the Thumbnail Browser, here is a virtual tag that I think should work if you use it instead of 'Year':

Code
$Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace($Replace(<Year (yyyy)>,9,​​​​​​​​​​9),8,​​​​​​​​​8),7,​​​​​​​​7),6,​​​​​​​6),5,​​​​​​5),4,​​​​​4),3,​​​​3),2,​​​2),1,​​1),0,​0)
(this one may not work with all fonts, I am not sure)

This worked perfectly, thanks so much! Virtual tags are always wizardry to me, so I appreciate it.

What version are you using?

3.4.7805 P.