Author Topic: Need to back up fully, is there a way to do this?  (Read 3560 times)

RAMWolff

Hi,

I have a new computer that just arrived today so now I'm saddled with backing up and all that good stuff.  I really would like to know how to FULLY back up Music Bee so when I install it on the new computer I can get all my settings back. 

I have a customized layout that I like, I have MANY MANY songs that I've had to go out and get lyrics too that I would like to remain with the songs rather than starting that whole mess over again so those two things are the most important to me.

I have accessed MusicBee's directory in the User>Roaming but don't see any files there where I would hope to see a text document with added lyrics for songs so that has me a bit concerned.  I do see the programs prefs file so I think the layout will be fine.

Thanks for any help getting this all backed up properly

Richard  :-*

phred

• Global Moderator
Please search the forum as this has been addressed many times. Also take a look at the WiKi although the information there may be a little out of date.

A quick answer to your lyrics question - if you're embedding the lyrics as a tag in each tag, then you won't find any file containing the lyrics. Open MB, open the Tag Editor, open the Tag Inspector and look for the lyrics.

Lastly, if you're using the Portable version, simply copy to a flash drive the entire directory where MB lives and then copy it back to the new computer. This assumes that your music files will be placed in the exact same path on the new PC.

Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

RAMWolff

OK, thank you so much.  So sorry, I don't come here very often.  So the tags are the key to saving out the lyrics then.  I don't use the portable, I'm on Windows and it's installed here on this machine! 

sveakul

So the tags are the key to saving out the lyrics then.
While I would recommend embedding lyrics in the internal file tag for simplicity's sake (the lyrics then travel with the file), MusicBee can store them as separate text files if so instructed (see Prefs/Tags(1)/lyrics storage).  It's unclear to me from your posts what way you have been doing it.

RAMWolff

I apologize.  I'm not very used to working with Tags for the most part.  I know from being a past user of iTunes that there was ways to assign artwork and change bits and pieces of those tags but in that program those were not saved either so I had to start from scratch when I got a new computer.  I have backed up all you mentioned to me to back up and have it now stored on my DropBox for safe keeping until I get the new computer on it's way to being set up. 

By the way, I couldn't find a tool called Tag Editor.  There is a Tagging Tools fly out menu under Tools but looked under that to back up and I did find one backup tool but not sure if that's what I need but used that in any case.  I'll look for the Prefs/Tags(1)/lyrics storage.  If there is a way to save out all the lyrics I've assigned my music I'd be so relieved and if backing up tag info is the magic trick then I'm all in!  LOL

RAMWolff

Hmmm, found the area in the Prefs.  I guess by default it's set for the lyrics to be embedded into the music files.  I selected the "save as an external file.txt" but will that just be for going forward or will the program go through and save all the added lyrics to a text file for safe keeping?

phred

• Global Moderator
Hmmm, found the area in the Prefs.  I guess by default it's set for the lyrics to be embedded into the music files.  I selected the "save as an external file.txt" but will that just be for going forward or will the program go through and save all the added lyrics to a text file for safe keeping?
Why do you want to save lyrics as external files when you're concerned about not losing them? You said they're already being saved as a tag in the music file. Transfer the music file and you transfer the tags, including embedded lyrics.

For the Tag Editor - select a file and right-click and open the Tag Editor. Near the top of the window there is the Tag Inspector. Open it and scroll down to see if you see the lyrics. If they're there, they're embedded in the file.

As for changing to save them as external, it would only be from this point forward.

You say you've never been bothered with tags before, but MB is all about the tags. MB is a music manager first and foremost. It is also a music player, but there are plenty of music players available. In order to use MB to it's fullest, you need to use at least a minimal set of tags (artist, album title, track title, track number, and a few others.)

I suggest you spend some time looking at the Wiki to get a better understanding of MB.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here