Author Topic: How can I make my star ratings of tracks visible on other players?  (Read 6214 times)

blackwood

i enabled write tags to file, but i still can't see my ratings outside of musicbee... can someone help please?

Steven

• Administrator
MB writes to the standard tags for ratings but unfortunately there is no standard for rating values so the values may not display depending on the app you are using.
Also make sure saving ratings to file is enabled in the Tags(1) preferences

blackwood

Maybe I can make a smart playlist of tracks based on their ratings and export that playlist to other players?

Steven

• Administrator
yes thats possible - you can export a static m3u playlist from a smart playlist

blackwood

are there any settings I need to do for that playlist to work on linux (dual boot), the file paths will be different...

Is there any way to get that to work properly?

phred

• Global Moderator
Preferences > Library > playlists > exported playlists.
There are a few options there that you can experiment with to get the desired results.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

i enabled write tags to file, but i still can't see my ratings outside of musicbee... can someone help please?
Just curious:
Even though there is no absolute standard for ratings, MusicBee has done it's best to handle the 'rating' phenomenon to be as compatible as possible with some other prominent software.

All you said was that it doesn't work for you 'outside of MusicBee'. Would you care to be a bit more specific?
There might be some workaround possible, or it could be some useful information to others on the matter.

blackwood

Just curious:
Even though there is no absolute standard for ratings, MusicBee has done it's best to handle the 'rating' phenomenon to be as compatible as possible with some other prominent software.

All you said was that it doesn't work for you 'outside of MusicBee'. Would you care to be a bit more specific?
There might be some workaround possible, or it could be some useful information to others on the matter.

strawberry on linux

what i did was make smart playlists of my tracks based on their ratings, make playlist compatible iwth linux filesystem with a setting on musicbee (unix something...), export that playlist to strawberry, mass rate tracks accordingly on strawberry

hiccup

strawberry on linux
Thanks, regrettably those are both outside my expertise.

Just some thoughts: Is strawberry using rating tags at all?
Perhaps with MusicBee you could use a custom tag and the Additional Tagging and Renaming Tools plugin to see if you can create something that works.

blackwood

strawberry on linux
Thanks, regrettably those are both outside my expertise.

Just some thoughts: Is strawberry using rating tags at all?
Perhaps with MusicBee you could use a custom tag and the Additional Tagging and Renaming Tools plugin to see if you can create something that works.

strawberry uses ratings, from what i understand there is no standardized method and each player treats them differently, even though at the end they're all displayed on a  basis of 5 stars...

frankz

Musicbee stores the rating in the Name: RATING / Tag: POPM tag for MP3s (using the 0-255 scale) and in the Name: RATING / Tag: RATING tag for Vorbis (FLAC) using the 0-100 scale.  Both of these are standard.

Your player will need to read these tags in order to make use of the ratings.

Also, as far as I know, enabling "write tags to file" doesn't do anything for previously rated songs.  It only applies to songs you rate after applying the setting.  I'm fairly sure it doesn't retroactively go back and tag all of your songs (if any) where the rating was originally stored to the database.

blackwood

Musicbee stores the rating in the Name: RATING / Tag: POPM tag for MP3s (using the 0-255 scale) and in the Name: RATING / Tag: RATING tag for Vorbis (FLAC) using the 0-100 scale.  Both of these are standard.

Your player will need to read these tags in order to make use of the ratings.

Also, as far as I know, enabling "write tags to file" doesn't do anything for previously rated songs.  It only applies to songs you rate after applying the setting.  I'm fairly sure it doesn't retroactively go back and tag all of your songs (if any) where the rating was originally stored to the database.

thank you for the explanation, i believe i had write tags to file enabld since i installed musicbee.

phred

• Global Moderator
Perhaps you missed this...
Preferences > Library > playlists > exported playlists.
There are a few options there that you can experiment with to get the desired results.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

blackwood

some tracks are not recognized when i try reading the playlist although i enabled use realtive paths and use unix path convention, any idea how to sort it out?