Author Topic: Linux?  (Read 6802 times)

G-Power

MusicBee is THE best music library manager out there. Sad to have to break up with it for switching OS.
Now I noticed making MusicBee open-source is something the developers are uncomfortable with, and I respect that, whatever the reason for it is. I don't see any reason for annoying anyone with this.
I am currently learning to code and am finishing up high school with the intention to study in system engineering. Because of this I started learning to code in a few different languages. What does it take to be part of the developer team? I am interested in investing time and effort to bring MusicBee to the Linux community.
I'm currently interested in having it run on Debian, though I would like to make it accessible for nearly all Linux distros, if possible.
Thank you.

phred

• Global Moderator
There is no development team. MusicBee is developed and maintained by one person, who does this in his spare time as a hobby. While MB is free, it is not open source.

I suggest you look at this from the FAQ:
https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/FAQ#Will_MusicBee_be_ported_to_Mac.2FLinux.2Fother_OS.3F
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

hiccup

Now I noticed making MusicBee open-source is something the developers are uncomfortable with, and I respect that, whatever the reason for it is.
Welcome to the forum G-Power.

I must say I find it a bit surprising that it seems that you have seen the 'why is MusicBee not open-source' thread, but didn't learn from it that MB has a single developer, and what the reasons are for it not being open-source.
I believe that is well-explained there.

And it's also obvious that it would be a serious additional burden on the developer's available time to take in apprentices and teach them the ropes.

G-Power

I suggest you look at this from the FAQ

This answer my question perfectly. I didn't know a big part of it was .NET. Given this it is unreasonable to ask for such adjustments, if we could even dare call them adjustments.
I guess I'll be checking out other options!

Cheers, and peace be on you.

G-Power

I must say I find it a bit surprising that it seems that you have seen the 'why is MusicBee not open-source' thread, but didn't learn from it that MB has a single developer, and what the reasons are for it not being open-source.

LOL. I had just scrollen through it. Now that I took the time to actually read the first few posts it is obvious. Excuse me for my negligence, LOL. When I read on a screen it's much more difficult to pay attention than with a book.
Pax.

G-Power

Why didn't I think of this earlier? How about using a .NET framework for Linux? Just make it part of the installer, according to the .NET license, and there you go! This will certainly require some modifications, but won't be such a pain as to rewrite the whole program!

phred

• Global Moderator
It's not very likely to happen for the reasons previously stated.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

It's not very likely to happen for the reasons previously stated.
I assumed (and I hope) G-Power was only thinking out loud, contemplating if he could create something himself.
(without any need of bothering Steven)

phred

• Global Moderator
I assumed (and I hope) G-Power was only thinking out loud, contemplating if he could create something himself.
Good point. But seeing as how MB is closed-source, even Mr. G-Power would would have to start from scratch.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

Good point. But seeing as how MB is closed-source, even Mr. G-Power would would have to start from scratch.
Many users are already using MusicBee on Linux using Wine.
And far as I know this didn't require any input or additional effort from Steven.
I am guessing that e.g. the files that the portable install creates in a dedicated folder can be used to create something.

Anyway, either this is drifting off-topic, or it is an exercise in repetitive moves.
If Power-G is onto something here and would like to share and/or discuss things further he obviously is free and welcome to create a new topic for that.

G-Power

Yes, I'm thinking out loud, here. Making suggestions and proposing ideas without really calculating the costs and consequences. But even if I weren't just thinking aloud, I wouldn't see any harm done in making suggestions and proposing ideas. The developer has no obligations to read or care about what I think. I'm simply putting out my ideas with no intention to bother anyone rather than just trying to find solutions to bring native support to MB for Linux, simply. That's why I'm using the MB forum without addressing anyone in particular, rather than only those who are interested in the issue or have their word to say against it, which is absolutely fine as well.
Of course, working with closed-source binaries is definitely a challenge, but I think it's the best option, since I don't believe Steven is interested in getting into something he's not familiar with, and I absolutely understand his position. I myself actually have a similar attitude/opinion regarding Mac... I'm not interested in it and probably will never be, because it just doesn't bring me anything I need and don't have with Linux and Windows, so I don't see it being worth learning.
I am currently doing research regarding .NET frameworks for Linux and how to run a .NET-based application over a framework without rebuilding it, given that I don't have the source. If ever I find any solutions or have any further ideas, I will be placing those in a new thread regarding this specific issue (as hiccup so kindly suggested). Thank you all for your input.
God bless.