Author Topic: Add the ability to sort the Playlist Explorer  (Read 5356 times)

CyanSlinky

The default and only option for sorting the Playlist Explorer is alphabetically, I'd like it if you could sort it by newest/oldest and most played/least played and maybe some others.

phred

• Global Moderator
Clarification please.
1- Sort by newest/oldest what? Date the playlist was originally created? Date of the most recently added track?
2- Sort by most/least played what? Number of times the playlist was accessed whether or not the entire playlist was played? Number of times any track within the playlist was played?

Please provide more details so I (and others) can decide if this would be useful.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

CyanSlinky

Alright my bad, I meant in terms of playlist creation for newest/oldest and probably number of times accessed for sorting by most/least played; though I guess you could include both number of times accessed and entire thing played?

I'm most interested in sorting it by newest/oldest created as I sometimes forget which playlist was new and stumble upon them later in the alphabetical ordering.
I guess this isn't a massive problem or anything, it'll just increase quality of life for me and maybe others?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
MusicBee doesn't monitor plays per playlist, although I suppose an aggregate average number of plays for the tracks in a playlist would be possible. I find it unlikely that any of this would be implemented, though.

As a workaround, you can always go into MusicBee's playlists folder through Windows explorer and sort by various date fields there.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Mayibongwe

• Heal The World
As a workaround, you can always go into MusicBee's playlists folder through Windows explorer and sort by various date fields there.
Afterwards, I was thinking that he could also then use the explorer's sorted list, as a reference to manually sort the playlists in MB itself.
Then whenever he creates a new playlist, he would just drag it to the top of the list.
The default and only option for sorting the Playlist Explorer is alphabetically.
There's another sorting option in the Playlist Explorer drop-down menu (Manual Playlist Sorting).
Favourite tune at the moment:   Dearly Beloved by Yoko Shimomura from the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack

CyanSlinky

MusicBee doesn't monitor plays per playlist, although I suppose an aggregate average number of plays for the tracks in a playlist would be possible. I find it unlikely that any of this would be implemented, though.

I'd like to be able to toggle between alphabetically and newest/oldest created on the fly, I don't really need most/least played sorting but I thought I'd suggest some other ways to sort the list; but if it's not being tracked in the back-end then no worries.

There's another sorting option in the Playlist Explorer drop-down menu (Manual Playlist Sorting).

This wasn't an option for me in the version I was using, just updated and I see it now!

I'd still like the option to sort it these additional ways automatically if possible.