Author Topic: Volume Slider Keeps Returning to Zero Percent  (Read 2188 times)

Tashe

I have a small question about the volume control slider in the player bar. If I set the volume slider to, say, 40%, play all or part of a track (playlist item), and then either click the stop button and then close MB or just close MB while the track is playing, the next time I open MB and either click on the same track that had been playing, or click on the "play" button to start the track, the volume control moves from wherever I left it, say 40%, to 0%. This also happens if I choose another track from the same or any other playlist: the volume slider is parked where I last left it before I closed MB and then moves to 0% when I choose to play a track, either by clicking the track in the playlist or clicking the "play" button.

This is no big deal except that when I choose a track and play it, I get no volume when I was certain I'd selected a track to play, etc. Choose a track -->start it-->walk away --> come back two minutes later wondering why there's no music -->check the volume slider, which is now at 0%-->adjust slider--> problem solved until next time when I'll hopefully remember to stick around long enough to adjust the slider.

This is with MusicBee v3.4.7805 on Windows 10 Pro, but the slider behavior has been around for several previous MB version incarnations.

Do you have any solution for this?

Thanks for any help...

sveakul

On the Windows 10 desktop, right-click the small speakers icon in the bottom right corner of your screen on the taskbar, choose Open Volume Mixer, and check that the slider for MusicBee is all the way up.

Tashe

Thanks for replying. The volume mixer settings were each at about 90%. I bumped MusicBee up to 100%, but doing so didn't change the MB volume slider behavior.

Tashe

I decided to explore this a bit more.

I have two computers: an older Lenovo T520 laptop running Windows 7 Pro (Intel i7 CPU), and a new (as of November) Lenovo desktop workstation (Xeon CPU) running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations version 20H2, OS build 19042.985.

When I first installed MusicBee on the new Win10 machine I installed v3.3.7367 and I used exported settings from the laptop install of MusicBee, so both have the same settings, skin, etc. I later updated both the machines to v3.4.7805. So both machines now have identical MusicBees but only the Win10 machine has the volume slider behavior.

As an experiment I put the portable version of MusicBee in a separate partition on both computers. This is the version in "MusicBeePortable_3_4_Update1.zip".  

On neither machine did the portable version have the volume slider problem.

On the Win7 laptop both the installed and the portable version mirrored each other in terms of the playlist selected and the track chosen from the playlist, as well as the volume setting. The volume setting remained where it was last placed by either the portable or the installed version. I could open the portable, choose a track, play it, set the volume, stop the track, close the program and return to it to find the volume slider remaining in place when I again chose to play another track: no moving down to zero percent. The same thing happened with the installed version.

The interaction between the portable and the installed versions on the Win10 machine is a different matter. As I said, the portable by itself works perfectly, while the installed version continues to dump the volume slider to zero. The strange thing is that if I open the portable and choose a track, play it, set the volume, and then close it, the volume stays the same. But if I do the same thing but then open the installed version, the installed version comes up with the identical playlist, chosen track, etc, with the volume wherever I left it in the portable version. But when I click on the track to play it, the volume slider immediately goes to zero percent. If I close the installed version at this point, and open the portable version, the portable version slider has also gone down to zero percent.

So what's the difference here? Is it Win 7 vs Win 10? If so, if it's a system problem, why wouldn't the portable have the same problem? I have several audio apps on both the Win 7 and Win 10 machines: MediaMonkey, VLC, Reaper, Audacity and others, and none have any problem with the system audio.

On the Win 7 machine I also have a digital mixing board installed, VoiceMeeter Potato, along with several digital audio cables. I tested the portable MusicBee against the installed version with the system sound as well as with the various digital audio cables routed through VoiceMeeter, and everything performed flawlessly. MusicBee worked great!

Any ideas?

k1nderchocolate

Hi there,
I am leaving this for future reference. I also had ongoing problem on v3.4.7805 and managed to fix it. The problem was that closing MB and opening it by double clicking on a song in the Windows Explorer consistently sent the volume slider to 0.

I had the store version of MusicBee and tried changing to the other one to see if that worked. It did. Then I went in to restore a backup of the settings, skins, plugins, etc., one subfolder at a time. Turns out it was a plugin called PlaylistHistory that was causing it. Simply deleting the plugin files from the settings folder in AppData/Roaming/MusicBee fixed the issue for me.

Cheers