Author Topic: New to MusicBee  (Read 1575 times)

Secretrivals

I am using iTunes and all the mp3s are on an external drive.  If I have another batch of mp3s (completely different music) on my C drive, and install MusicBee for them only, will this set up work?

In short:  iTunes with external drive mp3s and MusicBee with C drive mp3s.  Would there be any playback conflict?  Thanks

sveakul

After you install MusicBee (I highly recommend the PORTABLE version installed to a folder outside the user permisions jungle, like C:\MusicBee), when at first start it prompts you to select a library file location, just select the mp3's on your C drive, not the external drive.

Which is not to say you couldn't also add the external drive files to the MB library as well--not sure what you mean by a "conflict" with iTunes, unless you are talking about Windows file associations.  If the latter, it's true that you can associate only ONE app to open mp3's by double-clicking the file in Windows, no matter what drive the music is located on.

Secretrivals

I suppose by conflict I meant any conflicts where the two music libraries could mix or are they safe since the would each be pointed in different directions?  This is a desktop computer, would you still recommend the "portable" version? Thank you.

sveakul

I suppose by conflict I meant any conflicts where the two music libraries could mix or are they safe since the would each be pointed in different directions?  This is a desktop computer, would you still recommend the "portable" version? Thank you.
MusicBee's library will only be composed of the files/folders you TELL it to put in it.  I don't know anything about iTunes.  Do NOT opt to have it "auto-organize" your files, until studying the ramifications of that option at a later time.

I recommend a Portable install because it means all the MB files are in ONE folder--no registry entries--and by copying just that folder you have backed up all of MB (except for your actual music files of course).  It is also easy to apply update patches, find and manipulate files and plugins, etc.